Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/01/14 at 09:27:17

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
SE84C/S ULTIMATE UPGRADE CONSENSUS (Read 25335 times)
Hotsauce
Ex Member

Re: SE84C/S ULTIMATE UPGRADE CONSENSUS
Reply #15 - 10/29/05 at 19:38:33

Brett:

Did you upgrade the internal signal wire too?  Whats that black techflex covered cable I see?

John C.

IP Logged
lightmaster
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/29/05 at 23:44:26

Dear Brett
The post you made is more than welcome, this is really something I was looking into Smiley . and your description and EZ_Angus suggestion have just given an answer to what I was looking for (the images are the cherry on the cake). When you will have the time, I would really like to know the effects of the caps that you used to replace the atoms, is it a Black Gate 47+47uf or the Elna Cerafine?

Needless to say any other info on your mods is more than welcome when you have the time.

IMPORTANT!
I decided to create another post that I will call

SE84C/S ULTIMATE UPGRADE CONSENSUS (Results)

in this new post I will order all the posts from this thread with the actual mods and their description. This will give us a clear reference post with all the ideas, mods and impressions, and will allow us

to discuss and ask questions about the mods IN THIS ONE.

I am willing to take the time to do this, because I have learned more in one day then in months of clueless searching around.

thxs a lot to you all and keep posting, use images if you can and don't forget to give us your impressions on the mod if you have done it personally.

francesco

IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/29/05 at 23:50:11

Sorry, late to this thread...

Send the amp to Eddie V, Obi Vaughn Ken-tube-y

My modded CS was at the Hornfest '05 and opinions were posted here regarding how it sounded.

IP Logged
lightmaster
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/29/05 at 23:59:11

please guys
the aim of this post is to discuss individual mods that YOU have done so that we can LEARN about them and their effects.

tell us about mods that YOU have done and describe them,

i want to learn!!!!

i don't want someone to cook it for me (sorry must be me being an italian born grown man Smiley and yes it's true a good chef at times is the best solution, but this is a cooking course CAPISH

f

IP Logged
StingRay
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/30/05 at 01:34:14

Here, I have posted impressions on some of the mods I have done along with pictures.

http://www.geraldcurtis.com/selectex_mod.htm

Jerry

IP Logged
lightmaster
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/30/05 at 01:52:08

i know jerry
i linked to your web site in the first post of this thread! Undecided

IP Logged
Rocket_Ronny
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/30/05 at 02:45:20

Hey Mull:

I was not able to find the Hornfest opinions regarding your modded amp. Do you know where they are, or can provide a link?

Thanks,

Rocket_Ronny

IP Logged
StingRay
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/30/05 at 03:31:15

Quote:
i know jerry
i linked to your web site in the first post of this thread! †

Sorry. †I missed that. †On the home page, at the bottom, you can see the latest modification.  I have to update my mod page soon to include impression on changing the OPT's.

« Last Edit: 10/30/05 at 03:32:51 by StingRay »  
  IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/30/05 at 11:11:05

OK, that is VERY strange.
I just looked through the archives for about 30 mins and the thread seems to have VANISHED!

Well, here is a little from the Hornshoppe forum:

http://audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=18754

[quote author=Rocket_Ronny  link=1130443165/15#21 date=1130636720]Hey Mull:

I was not able to find the Hornfest opinions regarding your modded amp. Do you know where they are, or can provide a link?

Thanks,

Rocket_Ronny [/quote]

IP Logged
brettjm
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/30/05 at 16:09:41

[quote author=Hotsauce  link=1130443165/15#15 date=1130611113]Brett:

Did you upgrade the internal signal wire too?  Whats that black techflex covered cable I see?

John C.
[/quote]

Hi John,

The cable is a DIY VenHaus design shown here

http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

First wrap a couple silver wires around a 1/4" tube of Teflon in a double helix. Drill the ends and pull the wires to the inside. On an interconnect one wire would be positive and one negative, with an RCA at each end. But for the internal wiring of the Select, each is positive right and left channel.

The neat thing about this design is that each wire is separated from the other by 1/4", and it is still twisted for field.

Back before VenHaus was selling finished interconnects, their DIY design had a shield version that goes like this.

Once the spacing of the double strands is proper, wrap Teflon tape around them at regular intervals with just enough thickness at to be able to slide the thicker Teflon tube over them snugly. Next will come the shield itself, and so this keeps the silver wires nearly 1/4" away from the shield at all times. The Teflon wrap keeps the inner tube centered, and also provides damping.

Next slide the shielding on, solder the ground wire to the shield, ad techflex and shrink tube. Always solder the ground wire to the source.

I've wired this same design through my DAC, interconnects, and finally through the Select. I like what I'm hearing Smiley

-Brett

IP Logged
lightmaster
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/30/05 at 16:36:43

hi Brett
this is your second great post, i am loving this. just one thing, did you A/B this with the plain twisted silver wire. is it worth the effort? if you say yes i am game, i have some spare silver ohno continuos (wrog spelling i guess is this mono cristal silver wire thing i am talking about you know) and i would like to try this.

f

IP Logged
lightmaster
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 10/30/05 at 16:49:00

by the way for the ones of us that are on the other side of the atlantic this is a place where you can get silver wire and the cloth isolation at a good price

http://www.jacmusic.com/wire/

there is another place where you can get it, but i'll tell you asap i will try to get a deal for us Decware freaks Smiley ... this is the monocrystal wire i am talking about, does it make a difference you ask? YES! it does (at least considering the two silver wires of the same gouge i have tried) and again in my system in my universe Smiley
f

IP Logged
lightmaster
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 10/30/05 at 17:18:38

SOMETHING ABOUT CAPS
i know a lot has been said about caps upgrade in this forum, but there is a nice page with a "subjective" description of quite a few of them and a comparison among the different models, it's aimed at xover networks, but i think some of the impressions must be the same for the use of the caps in differnt positions

here it is

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

« Last Edit: 02/11/06 at 18:26:43 by lightmaster »  
  IP Logged
brettjm
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 10/31/05 at 18:08:57

It's worth the effort alright. And if you already have some silver, heck why not? Though I would suggest running 12" of silver signal wire in your amp while the rest is copper wouldn't be nearly as effective as replacing all of the signal wiring in your system with silver.

Also, replacing your signal wires is probley one of the last things to do while tweaking. There are other things to spend money on first that have more effect. But since you already have it Smiley

Your link for silver wire looks good to me. Wow 12ga silver, bet that isn't cheap.???

The link with the cap camparison was discussed in an earlier thread. I think people agreed it was good, but you might look for it to be sure.

-Brett

IP Logged
lightmaster
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 10/31/05 at 19:47:21

hi brett
I do agree with you. My system does have silver throughout, inside my speakers, interconnects, speakers cable, and even power cable Smiley

What I was curious about is the difference between a simply twisted design, the one I am using for the interconnects, and the fancy interconnects design that you have. Can you put a finger on the sonic difference of the two designs? Did you A/B the simple twisted design to the one that you use. If difference is minimal, Iíll just live them alone, but what the heck I am so curios that Iíll try anyway and report back myself on this too

francesco

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print