Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/02/14 at 13:33:30

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Imperials?? i want some!! (Read 8918 times)
skeamah1516
Ex Member

Imperials?? i want some!!
10/26/05 at 12:30:57

Hi to all, im new to this forum but there is a definate reason why im here. ive been trying to find a enclosure that will give large ammounts of clean but deep bass and ive come accros these imperial speakers. ??? Kiss

As im only 17 and dont have a masive ammount of experience in building enclosures, id like to keep the complexity of building the box fairly low so id only build the sub part, but i want it to house a 18" sub

ive read through the forum and ive heard that "steve" has released plans of how to build them but i cant find them so i was wondering if somone could email them to me or somthing as i really want the bass that everyone on here is talking about. ive currently got a 15" sub in a ported enclosure and a 13.5" main speaker but the bass just isnt doing it for me, so i want to move onto a 18" with the ultimate enclosure..... CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP??!! Cheesy

IP Logged
gildcm
Ex Member

Re: Imperials?? i want some!!
Reply #1 - 10/26/05 at 13:03:19

Welcome to the forum. If you are looking at building the Imperial SO (Sub Only) from plans, you are going to have to wait until Steve D. puts them on the site. He is still working on them. Can't wait until he does post them.

If you are looking at building the regular Imperial it can be found at this link:
http://www.decware.com/imperial.htm

and then click on Get The Plans at the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps you out. I built the regular Imperial and use it as a sub for my PA system and it is great. Lots of tight fast bass with the 15" speakers in it (Goldwood and Peavey).

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/26/05 at 13:14:07

The only limitation to the user is the sheer size and weight.
thay can live in the sub world and the fullrange world, and carry a rich full sound.
The most do not need to have Imp SO to have great bass. The regular Imp can do that fine. it will give you great deep clean bass without a problem.
Just read through the threads and what people are saying about the IMP.
Gex

IP Logged
skeamah1516
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/26/05 at 14:12:32

ok so if i buy these plasns i wont be disapointed with the results (provideing i biuld it correctly) and it will sound better than my current speakers which i stated in my first thread?

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/26/05 at 14:36:58

The imperial is worth the cost of the plans.

It sounds incredible at low volumes.  It demands attention at higher volumes, and driving it hard can break your house.

It would be the ultimate PA solution short of touring equipment.

I think the cost of the plans if justified.  You can find bootleg Jenson plans around, but the Decware plans are extremely simple to follow.

Getting access to all the online plans on the site is also worth it.  When an imperial is too big, the HW15 works nicely.

Stv

IP Logged
skeamah1516
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/26/05 at 14:47:12

what do you mean by It demands attention at higher volumes? so i take it as its really loud if you say it will break my house, what is its lowest frequency?? and where can you find these bootleg Jenson plans? i want to learn as much as i can about the box and how it works, could someone post a link please? thanks Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/26/05 at 15:52:36

cheapest way is to reinforce the Jensen plans. the best way get Steves version.
The HWK with your 18 would be incredible but not as accurate and pleasing as the Imp.
But it would rattle the windows pretty good. its only 4 feet tall instead of 63 inches tall.

I don't have the links handy. If Nobody pops in with them i will see if I can find them.

Let be encourage you to buy Steves design you will have so much specific help and a much better design.

the horn freq is 35 give or take. But thats not the whole story. read about it on Steves page

Gex

IP Logged
skeamah1516
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/26/05 at 16:17:16

ok, i will buy it when i get some money handy, but if anyone finds the link please send it. i just want crazy amounts of bass like you hear in the clubs!! Kiss i cant wait to get building. so would you say its worth sacrifising the exta quality of the 15"s for the extra bass created by the 18"?

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/26/05 at 18:08:42

I agree with the above comments,buy Steve's plans.
I've run a bass test through my one Imperial used as a sub with two 15" drivers.A friend gave me this CD so I have no information on the lowest HZ the test goes to.The sound pressure that emminates from the horn can vibrate anything loose in a large room(Mine is 20x30).I've said this before on other threads that size does matter.The sound is fat & tight!It's a big speaker to build but it's a keeper in my books.

« Last Edit: 10/26/05 at 18:10:10 by bnew63 »  
  IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/26/05 at 18:49:37

skeamah1516

this is footstonys site and has some stuff that helped me alot.
But it helped me understand Steves design.
But I would go with Steves design and do it right. and stay away from the corner imperial as a novice. You can't build it like the plans and expect it to work like the full size and not have resonence problems and the lows. It can only go one place and one place only. and may rattle itself to pieces under heavy use.

http://au.geocities.com/footstony/

Gex

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/26/05 at 21:56:57

Get your specs and put em up, there are a few people who may be willing to model your subwoofer in an imperial to give you expected response and/or help decide how wide to make it with a single 18.

IP Logged
skeamah1516
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/26/05 at 23:59:33

if by spec you mean the sub, i am looking at a Eminence Sigma Pro 18 650W 18" Bass Driver and what is the corner imperial that your telling me to stay away from?  i will probably just end up making the normal imperial with the 2 15" subs as it will be less hassle

IP Logged
change_out
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/27/05 at 00:35:57

I want some too, so much so that I am having Ziggy to build them for me!

Tim

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/27/05 at 01:08:03

[quote author=skeamah1516  link=1130329857/0#11 date=1130367573]if by spec you mean the sub, i am looking at a Eminence Sigma Pro 18 650W 18" Bass Driver and what is the corner imperial that your telling me to stay away from?  i will probably just end up making the normal imperial with the 2 15" subs as it will be less hassle [/quote]

It was one of jensens downsized designs, and still very much an Imperial.
what you are planning is going to be much better. you might want to wait to see if someone pipes up about the single 18 or 2 15's and hear there thoughts.
did I mention the threads?

change_out- you must live very nearby! There in the workshop now? you lucky dog. a Zig built anything would be sweet.
with the IMP you got the icing and the cake and the baker along with it too.

Gex

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/27/05 at 16:44:29

Hey all who have experience building Imperials, especially with 18" drivers. (this picks up from other threads) Have you experienced the dreaded "decoupling" below 40 hz warned of when using drivers with Fs lower than 40?

I've never seen specs for an 18" driver with an Fs above 40, and there are precious few 15" drivers that fit that description.

What happens? What's it sound like? (So we can recognize it when we hear it.)

Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print