Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/29/14 at 04:04:46

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Imperial SO has problems, need help (Read 32876 times)
dank
Ex Member

Re: Imperial SO has problems, need help
Reply #60 - 02/20/06 at 15:58:44

Well, I broke down and bought the Dayton 295-130 for my Imperial SO.  I installed it this past weekend, and everyone who was betting on the problem being the speaker just lost their shirts!  The new speaker makes little or no difference.  It is still performing reasonable well with the front boarded up, but down right pathetic when in it's intended configuration.  An SPL meter right in the horn reads an average of over 18 db lower across the entire range of 30-100 hz (measured at 8 points) when the SO is "normal" vs boarded up.  The only other thing I can think of is that I don't have the football shape cutout in the front panel yet, but Steve's worked well enough without that at Decfeast 2005 so I'm not sure that will make that hugh a difference.  I'm about ready to hang this one up, maybe I'll plan on throwing it in the truck and take it to DecFest 2006 unless someone can come up with something else to try.

Dank

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 02/20/06 at 16:50:08

return new drivers and get you money back, dont give up 5 seconds before the miracle. ??? they will give you what you want we are just missing something. i dont read long posts (too a.d.d.) but could you list your signal chain EXACTLY.and how its all connected.my guess is that there is soething wrong with one of your components.

have you tried
just 1 imp?
on both channels?
on a different amp?
different x over?
no x over?
different source? maybe your source just doesnt produce any output below 80hz for some reason?

1.source
2.x over
3.amp
4.etc
5etc
6.etc

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #62 - 02/20/06 at 21:39:44

Dank,

My SO's that were at Decfest 05 had the football shaped cutout.  From looking at your original pictures the obvious thing I saw was the spacing between the baffle and the front panel followed by other small details that were all just a bit off.  I e-mailed you a high res image of the plans so you could compare them to yours and see if anything could be easily adjusted closer to spec.  That was months ago.  Did you ever get it, and if not, would that help?

Also, on mine, installing a solid front baffle without the cutouts has almost the opposite effect in that it kills efficiency of the low bass.  What you have now is probably close to a giant sized WO32 cabinet where the horn flare shrinks to a point with minimal air space in front of the woofer.

WWW   IP Logged
dank
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 02/21/06 at 12:22:29

Steve

Yes, I got the drawing and mine is close.  I got a little confused as to the front removable baffle though.  Mine is currently only single thickness, and some pictures from Zygi just had the inner cutout (with the football shape) so I incorrectly assumed the front panel had changed.  I will add a second sheet of plywood to mine (with the football shape) and see what happens.  

If I'm reading the plans right though, the main important thing is that the front of the compression chamber angles from 0 to 2.5" away from the inner side of the front removable baffle board and that the top of the compression chamber angles from 2.5" to 3.75 inches away from the inside of the top.  My cabinet is quite close to these dimensions.

DanK

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 03/15/06 at 01:46:02

Dank

I gotta know, did you get things worked out?

IP Logged
serenechaos
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 03/23/07 at 14:31:07

gexter wrote on 03/15/06 at 01:46:02:
Dank

I gotta know, did you get things worked out?

Still curious...

Dual turntable, modified Toshiba cd player
CSP pre, SE84CS-EX SET, Urei and 6C45 Spud amps
ML TLs, HDTs, OBs, Nagaoka Swans,Corner horns, subs
Dedicated room undergoing treatment
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #66 - 03/23/07 at 23:31:50

I gave up on this quite some time ago.  I have no idea what's wrong.  My interests have shifted, so I'm working on other things, and the SO is just sitting in the storage room (along with my pair of dual 18 Imperials).  It has to be almost perfect cancellation between the front wave of the speaker and the wave out of the horn.  It's still VERY impressive if you board up the front and send all the energy into the horn, so I know the speaker and the amp are all working fine.  That gives me an idea...if that scenario is true I should see increased output if I board up the horn mouth instead of  the front...maybe I'll try that this weekend.  But the way things have been going lately, I'll just generate more questions...that seems to be my motto lately:  looking for answers,  finding only questions.

Dan K

IP Logged
JRock
Verified Member

Reply #67 - 03/26/07 at 06:01:08

I re-read this entire thread again and am still entirely mistified.  I was certain it was the driver- but it obviously isn't.

DanK- I plan on building a pair of Imperials this summer- and I would love to talk with you a little more about what drivers you have tried and whats worked in the normal Imperial.

I also have a new big PA amp if you decide you want to send some serious wattage to your imperials- I remember them having some huge Cerwin Vegas in them.

In any case- what are your new projects?  Anything you would like to share?

Relax427   IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #68 - 03/09/08 at 02:16:19

any updates?

where are these beasts?

dank wrote on 03/23/07 at 23:31:50:
I gave up on this quite some time ago.  I have no idea what's wrong.  My interests have shifted, so I'm working on other things, and the SO is just sitting in the storage room (along with my pair of dual 18 Imperials).  It has to be almost perfect cancellation between the front wave of the speaker and the wave out of the horn.  It's still VERY impressive if you board up the front and send all the energy into the horn, so I know the speaker and the amp are all working fine.  That gives me an idea...if that scenario is true I should see increased output if I board up the horn mouth instead of  the front...maybe I'll try that this weekend.  But the way things have been going lately, I'll just generate more questions...that seems to be my motto lately:  looking for answers,  finding only questions.

Dan K

Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew. ...
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #69 - 03/11/08 at 16:12:30

60_and_up wrote on 03/09/08 at 02:16:19:
any updates?

where are these beasts?

Some of you might enjoy the following pictures, others may not.  Warning - the following pictures are very graphic in nature, parental control is advised!

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #70 - 03/11/08 at 17:57:35

:'(           :'(
Cry           Cry
Cry           Cry
Cry           Cry
Cry           Cry
Cry           Cry
Cry           Cry

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
60_and_up
Seasoned Member

kids should live.

Reply #71 - 03/11/08 at 23:52:18

i hope steve or zyggi dont look at those and tell you what was wrong.

bottom line is, the imperials work, and steve wouldnt reccomend something if it wasnt great, you were so close..........

ive scrapped more than 1 box that i lovingly built

always a hard decision.....

Peace hath higher tests of manhood than battle ever knew. ...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print