Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/23/14 at 05:01:28

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What did I do wrong, DB10 sounds bad??? (Read 9157 times)
gexter
Ex Member

Re: What did I do wrong, DB10 sounds bad???
Reply #15 - 10/06/05 at 05:58:46

It also seem angled to me.
In my humble opinion you would only have about .5 of an inch if you were going to go lower.
I find that the lower I go the lower the output, as in Hz and volume, But not always the case with others.
I would smooth out that half moon just even if it is for appearance only.

and I take it that it still is not working for you.

Gex

IP Logged
mrchet
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/07/05 at 19:09:38

I'm running a US AMPS 1000 watt digital amp.  It's the one on the bottom in the pictures.  The one on top is their 300T tube amps that puts out 150 watts per channel to my MB Quart mids and highs up front.
I checked the baffle out because the picture really makes it look off, and it was by almost 1/4".  I didn't notice it before. Roll Eyes  
I beat the baffle down more and put some polyfill in it.  It plays deeper and the hollow upper bass sound is gone.  I decided that it was good enough and that I'd go ahead and seal it.  Just before I did that I thought what the heck and beat the baffle down some more, then I sealed it up.  I'm letting it dry now but I think I'm going to be happy with it now.  It was sounding decent so I'm going to live with it this way for a while.  
I think that the biggest problem was that I didn't think I could cover the port with the baffle without killing the sound.
Here's some of the latest pics.
http://www.computerwrestlers.com/Box_pix/Sub%20001.jpg
http://www.computerwrestlers.com/Box_pix/Sub%20007.jpg
http://www.computerwrestlers.com/Box_pix/Sub%20012.jpg
http://www.computerwrestlers.com/Box_pix/Sub%20013.jpg

« Last Edit: 10/09/05 at 01:24:03 by mrchet »  
  IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/08/05 at 15:23:19

pics no worky?

IP Logged
mrchet
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/09/05 at 02:17:08

Sorry about pics not working right.  The first two I forgot to put in a 0, but the last two worked.  They are all working now.  I guess I should have checked the links when I posted it.  I was in a hurry.
The sound now is good.  I'm happy with it.  I can't tune the crossover above 80hz or it starts to get that nasally sound again.  But now I'm feeling the bass and hearing it vibrate things like the CD cases that are in the door pockets.  Much better now, and I'm enjoying it.  Although I want more, so I'm still going to do my original idea and put some subs under the front seats.  It's just a bigger project than I have time for right now.  I only built the DB as an experiment to get more bass than I had .  Which now that it's tuned better is happening.  You were right about it playing lower but not as loud.  My biggest problem is that I haul a lot of stuff and really didn't want anything back there.  At least with this box I can stand it up when I need to and it doesn't take up as much room that way.  I would also like to build a box to put in it that really jams for those times when I want to get crazy!  Maybe a WO would be a good project and then I could store it in the living room when I'm not using it in the car.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/09/05 at 15:12:04

the db will jam, just need to set it up right, it hits hard and low. but as will all 'home brew'projects, there is room for error?

IP Logged
Erix
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/10/05 at 10:10:32

Looks like your half moon port is not correct. When I look at your pictures it's not wide enough. This cranks up the tuning frequency...

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/10/05 at 13:56:29

mrchet- Erix may be right, sometimes it is hard to tell from pictures.
When you built it and the baffle sat crooked that would cause a world of trouble and air would leak past the baffle.
One of your picks show the the top was not sealed before. that would have caused the same problem.
It looks like it is sealed up now and it was not before, which is making up for some of the build errors ( I have done the same thing even when I was not in a hurry) I am more of a mechanic and computer person than a woodworker. Or was anyway. I always enjoyed building speakers.

I think you should still check for leaks around the top and sides to be sure.

With all the differant characteristics of drivers ( even good ones) some will not play as well as others in specific enclosures.

The DB compensates only partly ( thats an opinion)

good luck

Gex

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/10/05 at 15:29:42

erix has a good point-your half moon does look a little small? did you cut it to the exact measurement?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/10/05 at 15:32:19

it also looks like there is polyfill inside your sub??????????? if you look thru the magnet towards the cone it looks like polyfill in there?-cant be good!

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/10/05 at 16:06:06

Good catch 60!

I try to keep my nose out of here since I don't have a DB, but stuffing in the motor is always bad news. CAREFULLY remove it and make sure you get it all. Another point ......... the port doesn't look the same as other pics I've seen. It definitely looks too small. Cry

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/11/05 at 13:36:58

yup, i agree about the half-moon. mine definetly looks bigger : http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4514/100022xi.jpg
sorry about the nasty pic. it's not digital
the half-moon port is not a half-circle. i guess chet cut it like a half-circle, using the port height as radius, which means that the width is double the height (it should be about triple the height)
i found a pic of the sub without polyfill in the motor..... http://www.computerwrestlers.com/Box_pix/Sub%20003.jpg

« Last Edit: 10/11/05 at 13:53:44 by adi_ro »  
  IP Logged
HB Bass
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 10/12/05 at 16:59:06

You guys are probably onto the root causes of the poor performance.  The port looks like it was cut with the centerpoint on the bottom rather than "x" dimension below.  

Mrchet check the 2.6" dimension and see if it is not 3.5" instead.  If this is wrong you should be able to set your baffle about 2.6" from the bottom and then use a Dremel or jigsaw to carefully "widen" the port.  This I think should help with the low end freq while moving the baffle back up to a more "normal" position should bring back the "punch" you are now missing.  

Cry Now I tell you after you've already got the baffle sealed!

One other thing I did was use some weatherstripping for a gasget on the top.  Even with a very snug fit mine still leaked without a gasket.  Any leakage will cause cancellation and distortion.

Good Luck

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print