04/23/14 at 20:11:04

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Imperial PA (Read 8203 times)
Braggi
Ex Member

Re: Imperial PA
Reply #30 - 10/08/05 at 05:11:21

I'm grateful for all the cool information shared on these boards.

Thanks to all!

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 10/08/05 at 06:03:48

P Bill,

I am from a small town and have had the idea of starting a DJ company since the Imperials came out since that "Hell..." thread during XMAS time. I made it a point to check out my competition the last two years and can confidently say each of the dozen services available in my area sound terrible.

I started this thread with the idea that I may get some ideas on what may sound good. When you recommend a driverack pa. is it because it offeres superior sound quality or because it is conveniant? I ask only because if a seperate Rane etc. can give me better SQ I will go that route. I must say this thread has evolved into much more amplification info. than I would have thought. Great info. guys and thanks for getting me started.

Now that I know what is involved a consultation with Steve will be that more useful.

Corey

IP Logged
Papi_Bill
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 11/09/05 at 06:31:29

the driverack is sonically superior IMHO. also you have less cables and potential for ground loops and all those headaches.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 11/11/05 at 23:07:42

Are there horns efficient enough to run on 5 watts in a 4 horn line array for 8 ohms nominal?

I am talking smaller venues like 20 X 30 size bars and 1 room clubs in small towns etc.

Then run a pair of Imperial SO's with an increbible amount of power.

Umm.. what do I want for Christmas.? A tablesaw!  ;D

Wow, we guys have a simple life. A tablesaw makes us happy while the women want fricken diamonds! Well some do.  I guess I shouldn't stereotype!

Corey  :)

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 11/27/05 at 00:48:22

I get the Musicians Friend catalog, and a new one arrived.  I was flipping though, and there was a review of the DBX Drive Rack PA.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/content/doc_id=89558

Reading the review, and then reading the user manual, what it does makes sense.

Just to see what similar functionality would cost, the closest I could find would be a Behringer Ultra Drive PRO DCX2496, and a Behringer Ultra Curve Pro DEQ1496.  The two total ends up being $550.

The DBX Drive Rack PA is $500.

I have not heard the DBX in person, so I cannot say how it sounds, but after reading the review, it sounds promising.

Stv

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 12/01/05 at 02:59:01

Hey STV, thanks for sharing the link on the review. Sounds pretty glowing. I'd be skeptical, but I read some posts on the ProSoundWeb from a guy who replaced his Behringer crossovers with DBX and he was positively glowing about how much better the SQ was. Assuming he wasn't the same DBX employee who wrote that review (just kidding) it's probably good stuff and I'd suggest the DBX over the Behringer. All the ProSoundWeb guys dis Behringer a lot. One guy says he'd love Behringer mixers if he could keep them working. Says they're always in the shop.

OK, enough. When I can afford it, and assuming I can justify it, I'll be getting a DriveRack.

IP Logged
Michael E
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 12/12/05 at 01:41:35

[quote author=Corey  link=1126582246/30#33 date=1131750462]Are there horns efficient enough to run on 5 watts in a 4 horn line array for 8 ohms nominal?

I am talking smaller venues like 20 X 30 size bars and 1 room clubs in small towns etc.

Then run a pair of Imperial SO's with an increbible amount of power.

Umm.. what do I want for Christmas.? A tablesaw!  ;D

Wow, we guys have a simple life. A tablesaw makes us happy while the women want fricken diamonds! Well some do.  I guess I shouldn't stereotype!

Corey  :) [/quote]
Which horns ?
you can work it out...
Sensitivity + power = SPL
SPL - audience distance = SPL at audience

jblpro.com 'tech papers' 'sound system design'

Mike.e

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print