Re: Imperial PA
Reply #1 - 09/13/05 at 03:32:14

Actually SS should probably be used.

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/13/05 at 03:46:51

good start, though the last item on your list should actually come first as it will likely be the longest/most complicated step of the whole process.

have fun.

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/13/05 at 16:16:20

Corey, you should know that the costs associated with PA go on forever and the payback might never make up for it. I'm sure DirtDawg could chime in here. I think he is one of the few that actually earned his living doing sound.

I've been trying to build a little PA on the cheap for some time and I'm amazed at how often I have to cough up another $100 here or $200 there for cables, adapters and misc. whatnot and it's just a hobby for me. If I really needed to earn a living from this I think it would be hopeless.

Even if you get a PA put together most of your gigs will be backyard stuff for friends you'll never get paid for. Go to some small concerts and take a look at the rack cabinets full of gear. Every little skinny box in the rack means another $300 to $1,500 and the time spent to learn how to use it. It's a frustration for me, but there are some rewards. (Somewhere around here I put the rewards. Didn't I?)

All kidding aside, be very careful what you sign up for. Go buy the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook and read it cover to cover. If you understand most of it and you're willing to spend a lot of money then go for it. Another good book is Jeffrey Forsburg's Building Pro Speaker Enclosures. It will humble you. There's a lot to consider before comitting yourself to this path.

If you just want to do some DJ stuff, remember that most DJs don't make enough money to pay for the music they buy. That aside, a DJ system can be a whole lot simpler than a full PA for sound reinforcement and you will be the life of the party. You just won't have time to actually enjoy the party because you'll be getting there early, setting up, running the show, then staying late packing it all back up in your truck. Oh, you do have a big truck, don't you? A good idea is to find a DJ without a system and rent him or her yours. That way you actually can get some money for your work.

If you buy your gear inexpensively, you can always sell it on eBay and get most of your money back. That's what lots of other people do.

OK, still going for this madness?

I am. † Smiley

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/13/05 at 18:24:08

Everybody has their panties in a bunch saying the Imperials are not portable!

Shocked that. They are. I am just engineering in my mind the little trailer to pull behind my truck.

Corey

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/13/05 at 18:27:19

Have rollers on 2 sides of each enclosure. So after you get them off the trailer by tipping them up you roll them on the upright rollers. You also have rollers on one long side. So you can clear doors by laying them down, lower c of gravity and more stable.

I am looking at the PA Coaxials from www.commonsenseaudio.com

Corey

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/13/05 at 18:52:49

[quote author=Corey  link=1126582246/0#4 date=1126632248]Everybody has their panties in a bunch saying the Imperials are not portable!
[/quote]

Hmmm. There many PA cabs that weigh over 300 lbs. Not sure what you're responding to here, but Forsburg has some good ideas for "caster boards" in his book. Wheels on cabinets will vibrate so are best made removable. A heavy duty hand truck with a strap might be a good idea but you'll need help getting up and down stairs.

IP Logged
gildcm
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/14/05 at 12:41:44

I use my Imperial for PA use and I attached casters to the bottom of tha cabinet. So pushing it around is not a problem.

Transporting it is the problem. Laying the cabinet on its back it takes up the whole back of my truck and I can't put any other equipment in the back. I have to borrow a friends trailer to transport the rest of the equipment. Which is the sound equipment for a rock band.

It can be done but you need a truck and trailer or a big box van to haul all your equipment.

« Last Edit: 09/14/05 at 12:42:29 by gildcm »  
  IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/14/05 at 20:42:22

I think we can assume safetly that Corey relizes he would need a large vehicle to fit Imperials in guys...Its pretty obvious.  

I think the main question is what do you want to do with these imperials?  Do you want to do the DJ thing, the rent out thing, or the sound renforcement thing?  The equipment is very different for each "thing."

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/14/05 at 23:41:50

Regardless of the intended application, always get an amp that is one model larger than what you can afford.

Headroom is important.  Small amps never seem to have enough power, no matter what application they end up in.

I got some 850 watt amps as starter amps for my mains, thinking they would be good monitor amps later, but even as monitor amps they are under powered for larger shows.

If I were going to build a pair of imperials for PA use (DJ or Live sound,) I would load them each with a Gold Wood 15120 and a Peavey Black Widow HE.  I would run the woofers in each cabinet in parallel.  To drive them, I would use a QSC RMX5050, so 1800 watts to each imperial.  I would find or build a horn that would go down at least to 800Hz, and use a 2Ē compression driver for it.  To make sure I wasnít lacking in power for the horn I would use a CE2000 to drive the horns, and an active crossover between the imperial and the compression horn.

That would be a sizeable investment to start, but if that was the ultimate goal, it would be less total money to start there, than to start with other stuff.  Starting with other stuff would leave me with the other stuff when I had my full system at a later point.

That is just my thoughts on an imperial PA.  Getting the speakers and the amps right is the Imperial part of the PA.  Everything else is either source, stage gear, or interconnects.

Stv

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/15/05 at 14:45:14

[quote author=Corey  link=1126582246/0#0 date=1126578646]Okay is this all I need?

- Laptop

- Squeezbox 2 with mods

- Mixing board

- Valve amp

- Drivers/enclosure

[/quote]

What can I say........... uhmmm ....... No.

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/15/05 at 18:04:55

More like,
not even close...

Robert  :)

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/15/05 at 19:31:28

Actually the question, " Is this all I need? " recurs often. I think you did that part just right.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/16/05 at 17:04:29

- Laptop
                               - Squeeze box 2
                               - ZBox
                               - Mixing board:

From mixing board:
- HF Active crossover into HF horn power amp(Crown) driving the compression drivers on top.

- QSC power amp driving the Peavey BW and the JBL knockoffs full range.

Corey

« Last Edit: 09/16/05 at 17:51:56 by lynch »  
  IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/19/05 at 00:02:42

Driving the woofers full range is a tough call.

If they donít beam at higher frequencies, then driving them full range will give them a more open sound.

If they beam, then they will need to be low passed by the crossover.

I just threw out the amps I would like.  There are better ones for more money [Crest, Crown IT series], and there is other high power ones for less money [Behringer EP2500].

When looking at amplifiers, lately I have tried to find ones that will give me the power I want into the load I have without running them at bridged mono.  When an amp is bridged, current becomes a concern, as well as heat dissipation.  [Compare running 2 CE1000ís bridged mono to running a single QSC RMX5050 in stereo with 4-ohm loads].

Stv

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print