04/16/14 at 11:25:36

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Somebody stop me! (Read 9409 times)
brad
Ex Member

Re: Somebody stop me!
Reply #30 - 10/19/05 at 18:48:27

Yes, Mundorf Supreme Silver/Oil is silver foil in oil. I put them in my TABOO as coupling caps. I also put Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold and "regular" Mundorf Supremes in my CSP pre.

I'll most likely try 1uF Mundorf Silver/Oil as a xo cap on my ribbon tweeters. Right now I'm using two 0.47uf Auricaps in parallel.

I bought all the Mundorfs from Madisound.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 10/19/05 at 19:02:57

Thanks, Brad

That even gives me a place to start.  :)

« Last Edit: 10/19/05 at 19:29:21 by DirtDawg »  
  IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 02/02/06 at 20:21:25

I don't want to open an old debate but I'd like to know what kind of source you are using with supertweeter that have sound over 20khz.

About sacd are they able to go higher than 20k and is it's the case, are they recording made to go over 20k ? I mean microphone, mixing console and everything ...

As Im A fan of old analogue recording I can see the point even if I seriously doubt a old vinyl that as been played form more thant 10 time will still have frequency that high. Maybe the reel to reel, I just got one and some good recording.

but for digital media I hardly believe that a redbook would produce anything over 20k except for some nasty sound from dac conversion if there is no digital filtering.

Also the amplifier, if tube, need to have a good bandwith because some I have measured where droping very fast over 18-20khz.

IP Logged
teepeeworks
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 02/02/06 at 21:01:07

Franksmith,

This is what Steve Deckert wrote on the subject in this paper:

http://www.decware.com/paper18.htm

Take care,

Corey

IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 03/20/06 at 01:54:50

After some measurement I've been able to understand why i had some trouble listening to cymbales with the hdt.

The high start to roll of at around 15k-16k. The bass also come very weak under 60hz, and are already rolling of from 100hz. I suppose that my room is too big for them.

For the HF, I don't know if it's related to the decware modification of the fe206e i received but an original fe206e seem to have more top end but also more focused.

I tried a pair of LCY100k tweeter installed on top of the hdt with great results.

I took new measurment with the tweeter and I'm now having a flat response to .... let's say well over the range medias can obtain.

Now the cymbales sound very accurate and powerfull.

For the bass I'm trying a pair of supravox 285 gmf in OB with eq correction.

IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 04/13/06 at 15:41:59

Small follow up.

I've tried the supravox 285 in bass renforcment. Even if they are very good, they simply can't follow the hdt and remove the impact of the hdt bass. I can't understand how a regular subwoofer can match with theses whitout altering the sound of the hdt. Just try "take five" from Dave Brubeck with and without the subwoofer it's incredible how the sound of the drum change with subwoofers. Probably a question of priorities (extention vs quality)

Also I realized that the hdt where working a little bit too hard to fill my big room.

What I've done is separate my room in two and use them only in half the space I was using with my acoustat X.

The new "room" is now around 11' by 15'.

The change is impressive, I use almost half the power I was using before at the same sound level. The bass is now way more present and the mid bass as more body, almost as my stats. They are still alive but I will need to do some acoustic work with resonnances when I raise the volume.

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 04/13/06 at 21:42:54

[quote author=franksmith  link=1126166044/30#35 date=1144939319]I can't understand how a regular subwoofer can match with theses whitout altering the sound of the hdt

[/quote]

You need allot of speed, which is tough to do with the heavy cones and high excursion of most subwoofer drivers - even with allot of power behind them.  What seems to work well are large high efficiency drivers, usually with low xmax, like in those used in the Imperials. Or, small drivers with light cones that can move fast.  This is what the small Yamaha subs I'm using have - 8" paper cone drivers - which are also servo controlled.  Granted these small drivers don't go super low and can't play as loud (won't rattle your house). But they add weight to the bass, are musical, and do minimal damage to the bass put out by the HDT's.  The integration is pretty good - better than more expensive sub's I've had in the past.  And they're cheap!

« Last Edit: 04/13/06 at 21:44:29 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print