Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/28/14 at 05:51:53

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
The Radials Have Landed (Read 18552 times)
richard
Ex Member

Re: The Radials Have Landed
Reply #30 - 09/04/05 at 15:56:30

Had my first real forget about the stereo experience with the rl-3's yesterday which tells me they must be breakin in and that I am really liking these speakers.

I too have room issues which are hard to ignore when listening.  Room is rectangular (15x30x8) with the speakers on the long wall.  One speaker is in a corner and the other actually opens to a dining room and then a wide hallway.  A love seat between the speakers only makes matters worse by creating another boundry for the speaker in the corner to deal with.  As a result the speaker in the corner ends up kind of being hornloaded. I feel the need for a balance control sometimes. Some day the love seat in the middle will disappear which will allow me to get the speaker more out of the corner.

Bass has settled down some with moments of almost missing upper bass less frequent. Big room filling sound with great detail compared to my old speakers. Soundstage is huge and speakers tend to disappear with a good recording.  Listened to a new cd by a lady named Mary Gauthier that was just an awsome listening experience.  Highly recommended at least based on just the one listen.

« Last Edit: 09/06/05 at 17:19:03 by richard »  
  IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 09/04/05 at 18:43:14

Quote:
The last person I heard use that word was my Grandma

I AM from the "old country"...   Smiley

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 09/05/05 at 01:14:14

Update: I just took out the F1 put my Select into the system. Very surprising. I was expecting the Select NOT to be able to drive the RL3s. Well, although I'm playing this late at night and at relatively low levels, I'm not missing anything. Very strange indeed - must be the tube watts... ???

I'll test out the volume levels tomorrow during the day just to confirm but I may have take back what I said about needing a minimum of 10 watts to drive the RL3s.

IP Logged
playntheblues
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 09/05/05 at 02:14:06

??? very interesting Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 09/05/05 at 02:23:22

Cheesy

The Select and my Radial RL2s were a very nice sounding combo!

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 09/05/05 at 10:39:29

It's 11:30 AM and I've played some of my tougher amp-clipping classical pieces and the Select just about passes. Surprising, as previously with the Horns, the Select would have clipped. With the RL3, the sound's got body, weight, adequate SPL and bass. Not sure why by I may throw in this idea:

1) The bass and body generated by the RL3s means that I don't have to turn up the Select to clipping levels to get a "whole sound"

2) The RL3's may be a benign load on the Select.

Certainly the volume levels I have right now, I can live with. It's no party sound system but that's not what Im looking for. Eminently workable.

IP Logged
Hrappur
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 09/05/05 at 10:58:28

[quote author=Lon  link=1125423840/30#34 date=1125883402] Cheesy

The Select and my Radial RL2s were a very nice sounding combo! [/quote]
What is a RL2 ? Was it made after the RL1.5 and before the RL3 ??? or is it a discontinued speaker?

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 09/05/05 at 11:18:47

The RL1.5 replaced the now discontinued RL1 and RL2.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 09/05/05 at 11:56:16

Yes, sometimes I think I should have stayed with the Select but then again I do really like the EL34 tube.

George is right:  the Radial chain began with RL1s which I had, and then the RL2 models were introduced and I exchanged my RL1s for RL2s; finally these were both discontinued (to my sort of dismay) and RL1.5s and RL3s replaced them.  Imagine how you'll feel when the RL4s and RL5s come out. . .  ??? Cheesy

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 09/06/05 at 09:04:17

Just put the F1 back - Yep, there's some good synergy going there with the CSP/F1/RL3 combo. Not that the Select sound bad; it sounds great but the F1 just grip and moves the drivers like they got no weight. The sensation of starting and stopping instantly.

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 09/06/05 at 13:16:43

Thanks G....for all the comments and observations. Hope you continue to enjoy the Radials. Smiley

IP Logged
richard
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 09/06/05 at 17:27:36

Quick question.  I have bi-wire speaker wire, banana plugs.  As such I have been creative in hooking up the speakers by using both the bare wire holes and the banana holes.  Probably not the best long term solution.

Wondering if I can hook up one set of the bi-wire straight to the binding posts for the resistor and for that matter the other set to the posts with the capacitor?  

G,  thanks for your posts.

IP Logged
matchstikman
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 09/07/05 at 02:06:20

Giorgino, how does Roger Waters' come across with the Radials?  Do you have "Amused to Death?"

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 09/07/05 at 12:40:40

Match - I have Waters' "Amused to Death". I use it to test the Special FX capability of my speaks'.

Well, it's good but not great. I may have a lot setting up to do yet in terms of speaker placement. It's as good as the Horns but not better. On track 1 the "old boy's" voice talking about WWI and the dogs barking are a little distant. - not in a good way as it didn't help create the illusion of space.

The RL3 certainly did alot better with "Amused" than the omnidirectional speakers I auditioned. THe Duevels just lost the old boys voice placement. The RL3 haven't reached anywhere near the lowther based horn speaker I heard with regard to the Waters' album where the dogs were barking from the corner of the room behind my right ear and the old boy was talking 6' to my left.

Of course my opinions in this post are purely on the "Amused to Death" album's ability to create a special effect not as a general observation of the RL3s.

IP Logged
playntheblues
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 09/07/05 at 14:44:29

???Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm you would think the Radials would absolutely excel at that kind of sound stageing.  How many hours do you have on your speakers now?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print