Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/01/14 at 07:01:31

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
The Radials Have Landed (Read 17859 times)
Giorgino
Ex Member

Re: The Radials Have Landed
Reply #15 - 09/01/05 at 00:11:29

Hi Lon

The impressions ARE very positive.

How long did your break-in last? I actually got Bob's personal speakers which had about 100 hours on them but I understand the tweeter needs hundreds of hours.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/01/05 at 01:01:18

Yes, I really think it took about a month of listening. . . and maybe even more for my tweeter as I have had it way way scaled down. . . that's how I survive the near-field in a room around the same measurements as yours.  . . .

Once the speakers settled down and I got the tweeter scaled down I felt a really cohesive sound and a very very realistic image and tonality.  I agree that it would be even better with a larger room. . . but. . . it's impossible.  At least for the next five years or so!

IP Logged
rastubes
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 09/01/05 at 03:15:49

Thought I'd put my 2cents worth in here,

I was the 2nd person to purchase the original RL3's; absolutely thought they were as perfect for my tastes as you could get.  But Bob told me about the changes he made - for the better - and I had him convert my "old" radials into the updated model.  Well, I have to say that the "new" model trumps the original by a mile!  Deeper, taller soundstage - with imaging that makes you think there are no speakers in front of you!  According to Bob, the mid-bass is much better - and I can confirm this.

You will notice that the speakers take a long time to break in - I think it took mine around 200-300 hours to be as cohesive as intented.  And there is no comparison between the old tweeter setting and the new; the new tweeter is much more integrated - to the point you really can't pinpoint the tweeter on most music.

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 09/01/05 at 10:31:13

Thanks guys for your input.

For your information, I vaguely remember talking to Bob about putting 18" carpet beneath the Radials. Well, I folded up some towels and placed the Radials on them last night. Wham! The bass just cleaned up. None of the misbehaving, disembodied subbass notes I was talking about. Must have been bouncing the notes off my tile floor.

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 09/03/05 at 00:12:41

How are they sounding today Giorgino? Hope all is going well, I guess break in can take quite some time, any new revelations?   Dave Smiley

IP Logged
playntheblues
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 09/03/05 at 00:24:12

Yeah George how are they sounding Smiley?  Mine ship on Tuesday Cheesy  I am coming from BIG speakers  VMPS RM40's and Klipschorns.  I wonder if they will have that BIG sound???????

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/03/05 at 01:25:44

Hi Dave and 'Blues

Thanks for your enthusiastic encouragement for info.  :)
I think it'll take me some time to dial in the Radials properly, not because the need breaking in but because they sound totally different to the Horns. My system had been balanced to work with the Horns and, therefore, will need some experimentation to get system synergy again.

This weekend will be a good time to test equipment properly. For example, I had a DAC (Musical Fidelity TriVista 21) that didn't work well with the Horns which I'd like to try with the RL3s. Another is to experiment with my HGA silver wires. I can afford to test out equipment and wires that I put away because they sounded bright with Ed's Horns but now may work fine with the RL3's.

Placement is still an approximation and I'm looking forward to dialing the Radials in but as an update, I'd like to share the following:

I've always had a problem with classical music reproduction. Whether with Magneplanars, or Select or other amps, I've not managed to get satisfactory results with regard to power level or soundstaging depth. This is not neccessarily to do with Ed's Horns or any one particular product but my equipment in general. I've always felt slightly frustrated.
THe RL3s with the F1 just kicks out a great soundstage with sufficient punch to not feel cheated.

Very nice indeed. Feels like I'm in the performance hall. This is accentualted at night - the obvious result of cleaner mains power and background noise levels. I'll be in a position to provide clearer feedback on Sunday when I've got a little spare time so please bare with me.

Regards

George

« Last Edit: 09/03/05 at 01:37:00 by giorgino »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/03/05 at 10:41:43

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I knew they would be very different from the Horns, and I had hoped you would be very pleased.

Grin

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 09/03/05 at 14:02:55

Yeah - I had heard from several people that the Horns and Radials were like chalk and cheese with regard to sonic characteristics. I have to say that there are some things I prefer on the Horns:

I really like the the very light qualities the Horns are capable of presenting. This may be due to the relative bass lightness of them, but they sound faster. Sounds like plucked guitar strings and especially fast paced cymbals just sound so quick.

I think the F1 works really well with the RL3s, however, if I were to buy another amp, 10 watts would be a minimum power level. I just keep finding myself turning up the volume dial. The Horns never did that. I know, that's because the Horns are forward firing. I'm just surprised you've managed to get a happy sound from you monoblocs. With my F1's 10 watts it it just about gets away with it on orchestral work.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/03/05 at 14:45:43

Well, two things I'll say.

One. . . I think you'll find that with time the Radials will handle that lightness well or you will realize how they are handling it and it will seem right.

Two. . . I don't have the luxury of even a room as big as yours, and I have set up the Radials and "tuned" them for a more near field set up.  You CAN make this cohesive if you work at it (and my RL2s MAY be more flexible than the RL3s because I think I have resistor flexibility on the lower speakers that the 3s may not, and I can angle the tweeter, also I use brass spikes on the speakers which have really helped me out). . . . Honestly I can get all the loudness I'll ever need in that room with the Monoblocks, and if memory serves even in my living room dining room, and if not I could hook them up to the B&O receiver out there (which sounds pretty damned fine with the Radials the two times I've had them connected).

« Last Edit: 09/03/05 at 14:46:13 by Lon »  
  IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 09/03/05 at 15:19:36

Hmmm - I'll have to experiment with nearfield listen again. Maybe the F1/RL3 is kicking out more bass than the norm - my room is only just about big enough.

One thing thought the RL3's have in spades is AUTHORITY. Piano just sounds like the full blown kit as opposed to a mini version. Tonally, it's great.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 09/03/05 at 19:02:49

So much is room dependent.  I actually feel I don't have enough bass ultimately in my listening setup.  Just a hair more wouldn't upset me, but I don't really miss it.

My room is 11.5' long by 11' wide.

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 09/03/05 at 22:30:11

That's amazing. My room is 17 x 11 leading to another area 10 x 12 just behind the listeners head. This is obviously something to do with the F1 + RL3 combo. The bass notes from a classical orchestral CD just "growls" on my legs and the settee.

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 09/04/05 at 00:06:24

Quote:
settee

The last person I heard use that word was my Grandma Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 09/04/05 at 00:28:09

In my experience larger room = more bass. . . . So that makes sense.  Plus the 3s are different from the 2s.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print