Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/26/14 at 04:00:50

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
another scaled WO w/ 2- 5 1/4 car woofers (Read 7003 times)
Braggi
Ex Member

Re: another scaled WO w/ 2- 5 1/4 car woofers
Reply #15 - 11/09/05 at 19:12:22

OK Gex, now you've done it. You called my attention back to this thread and we have to know. What's the latest on this little project? Did you like the Circlomanen flare? Did you try shrinking the throat any more? I've got a beefy little pair of 6-1/2 inchers begging for a box and a brand new sliding miter saw looking for a project. Your work is inspiring.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 11/09/05 at 23:26:30

To be honest Braggi I have done next to nothing besides my version of a SO. I am waiting on my WO32 plans and stopped experimenting because it was getting on my wifes nerves.
the Little WO is still in use and the throat was choked down and dacron was removed from the throat as well.
When I first built it put out incredible volume with so little wattage.
I had to drop my crossover down to 80 then to 60 in my car. The volume dropped but the sound improved considerably.
when I placed it in my trailer I removed the top and flipped it upside down and directed it towards the back of the trailer for my son to use. It won me some major brownie points and amazed hie friends. ( keep in mind these are 14 to 19 year old kids)

I was used so much I could not get my hands on it to play with it. it has a flare that starts at the driver exit port to the first bend just inside the mouth.
the midbass boom is a real problem with the small versions.
I do have to say overall I was surprized at the results even though it was midbass heavy. I had to do it to find out how flexible the design was.
If I was to do it again I would go 24 X36 if possible match the sealed area to the driver sealed specs. without making the Q to high.
I would make another without hesitation but lean more to Steves original design.
I am unsure of the flare because I was not able to test it after I added it. I think you are able to control expansion rate more acurately. It may also add more area making it a fraction more of a horn.
I have a 8" one in the wings and it will be the full 36 X 36
and will have a flare. and the sealed area will match the woofers specs.
the WO is kinder to smallish speakers more than the other designs I believe.
Sorry I could not be much help

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 11/10/05 at 06:27:07

midbass sound could be coming from the vented chamber beeing too big ? i noticed that the midbass sound increases in my db when the insert is too high = the vented chamber is big ( bigger = more midbass maybe ?)
try to remove the fill and add some solid fill (books, pieces of partible board, bricks) and check the sound.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 11/10/05 at 16:01:05

good idea Adrian
Presently a crossover and location is doing an ok job for my Son and still impressing his friends.
Myself, I could not put up with it.
I may modify the vented chamber because all its just a chamber that vents like a port.
I will not be bothering with it anymore.

« Last Edit: 12/24/05 at 19:46:45 by gexter »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print