04/19/14 at 01:26:05

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Build the Perfect WO (Read 11506 times)
j_rock777
Ex Member

Build the Perfect WO
07/16/05 at 15:51:58

I want to build the perfect wo for two 10 inch subwoofers.  My plan so far is to build the 24x36 version and adapt it a little. I really like Circlomanen's curved flares, but I have no idea how to lay out an exponential curve.  I was also planning on building the sealed chamber to the correct size of a fourth order bandpass for the subs.  I think these two things will improve the basic WO design, but what other things should I attempt to add?  I want a good all around box, fast accurate and loud.  I believe in the WO after having built three, I just want to specialize it for the subs I have.

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Re: Build the Perfect WO
Reply #1 - 07/16/05 at 17:01:55

Here you see the original drawing and the new bent panel flare of the WO. This worked for me, but if you are building anything other than the original WO you are very much on your own. Its new grounds and the results are only due to your own skill, understanding (of how it works) and luck.
I do however think that the curved panels works very good in a couple of different ways.
1, the are extremly stiff and resistent to resonanses and flexing.
2, they should make the "rubber mouth" effect work more effective and give a bit higher efficiency.
3, if you extend the mouth (almost) all the way out to the edges of the box, you should get even higher efficiency due to the larger radiating surface.

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/16/05 at 17:34:16

I think I might lay out a curve like yours, only keep the straight exit, where the mouth of the original wo is.  I remember you saying the curve is made of a masonite type material right? is it doubled or tripled up?

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/16/05 at 18:54:49

Four layers. But thats a minimum for a small size WO. Make it at least six layers bonded with glue for a normal sized WO.

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/17/05 at 17:05:36

Okay I think I got a design for a perfect WO using 12s:

Same dimesnions as the ten inch version for starters, except angle the top so that the 12s can fit in the baffle.  This way the 12s have an air impedence the same as the 10s, which should provide for a higher pressure wave. Include the exponetial curve to increase efficiency, I think we have a winner. Plus the horn/transformer has a highjer increase in area.

If someone builds it and it works, subtracting from the heighth will allow for a 10 inch version.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/17/05 at 21:57:03

Good call on the triangle thingie whatamacallit at the bottom of the throat. It will increase volocity and lessen turbulance. If Circlomanen is correct this is the final step to what he has already done.
when you mean angle the 12"s do you mean mounting them so they tip forward or back towards the sealed enclosure offsetting the volume of the sealed chamber? I have modeled this as well.

I don't know, it looks like by the pictures Circlomanen has a bigger horn
Area ratio to driver.

« Last Edit: 07/17/05 at 21:58:48 by gexter »  
  IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/19/05 at 03:49:49

Looked a little closer today and with some extra information the dimensions are nearly square not rectangular.
My eye picked up on a 2 inch differance, so it is only slighty rectangular.
A two inch difference it appears can make an enormous change in sound.
That and possibly the horn ( modified flow ) combined with it makes all the difference. I wanna see someone duplicate the effect several times. I am going to use a partial modified design to see if I can break it down. That will take a little time with my schedule.

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/19/05 at 22:38:43

well basically it is just the 36 x 36 version laid out correctly.  Then I put curve horn flares. Finally I angle the top of the cab so that the height at the baffle is big enough for the 12 to go straight up in.  it angles down far enough so that the throat has the same area as the 10 inch version, therby increasing the impedance the 12s recieve.  The throat then expands even quicker than the 10 or 12 inch version because the top is angled.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/19/05 at 23:10:03

Undecided

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/19/05 at 23:15:11

another way to make it look cooler would be to make the horn's top parrallel, the sealed and compression chamber woudl be elevated and angled above the flat horn path.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/19/05 at 23:15:39

j_rock777 if the top of the cab modified like I have it pictured in my head, Would'nt your beer keep falling off it you were'nt paying attention.
Kinda useless don't ya think?

That is one cool design. I would really like to see a picture or diagram of that if you get it going.

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/19/05 at 23:17:55

I am grounded for another week, so I may just build the thing. or at least model it in cad3D...either way I think it is the best way so far to modify the WO for 12s and keep the majority of ti liek the ten version.

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/20/05 at 00:34:32

heres the best I can do on the paint program at work:

same concept except it keeps the horn the same as the original version except the curved flares...

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/09/05 at 23:59:14

any thoughts people?

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/11/05 at 21:14:36

Quote:
any thoughts people?

I have a whole lot of them. Mostly too wierd and fucced up, but once in a while I get a good one.

Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print