Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/01/14 at 13:24:33

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
DECWARE CORNER HORN PLANS ! (Read 55922 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

DECWARE CORNER HORN PLANS !
04/05/05 at 23:32:17

Finally after 11 years I have prototyped a production model and done a set of plans for the DIY speaker builders.

These are not on the site yet, but will be in the next week or so.

Here is a link to the plans:

http://www.decware.com/CORNERHORNPLANS.pdf

The file is 2.3 meg.

We will have the required actual size template for sale once these plans are added to the web site.  The template will sell for $39.

I will also be creating a dedicated support forum for these plans soon.

Enjoy!

WWW   IP Logged
nodiak
Ex Member

Re: DECWARE CORNER HORN PLANS !
Reply #1 - 04/06/05 at 01:11:58

Thanks Steve, that's good news! Worthy of a parade of smileys.
   Don-"will I or will I not find the gumption to make the corner horns" he wondreth.

IP Logged
needlz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/06/05 at 01:50:04

Thanks mucho Steve... These might be my first venture into building my own speakers.

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/06/05 at 01:51:16

YES!!!
The wait is over!
Sawdust time!!!

IP Logged
thedude
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/06/05 at 17:27:38

Smiley

Its too bad I don't have any free corners to put them in.  Dorm rooms are tight you know.  Oh well, one day I'll build them.  Until then I'll have to be patient. ???

-Matt

IP Logged
Obi-Vaughn Kentubi
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/06/05 at 19:37:53

Anybody have any tips on how to persuade the wifey to let me remodel the living room for these? Maybe I'll tell her that she can remodel the room as long as I can do just one little teeny weeny thing.............. Tongue

I've been fortunate to hear these horns a couple of times, and I can sincerely say they're just about the finest speakers I've ever heard. I once said to someone looking for a new amp-speaker combo that if a Select and a pair of Parker 98 Signatures won't make you happy, then you can't be made happy. Well, these would make you happy........

I'm not saying that a Select and a set of 98 Sigs is anything less than maxed out on the smile factor scale, but the corner horns are BAD TO THE BONE. If you have the corners and room for it, they'll be the end of your speaker search forever.

I seriously would remodel my room for these if I had the dough. Must have willpower........getting weaker, weaker...............

Eddie Smiley

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/06/05 at 22:58:08

Thanks Steve, will the plans show exactly how your using them? ie: the exact speakers, mdf or ply etc, and I noticed that there is a high freq part of the horn on the top that I wondered how your using and if it will be part of the plans and what speaker is used there also.  Thanks alot   Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Pyewacket
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/07/05 at 11:40:20

So, those of you that have heard the horns, what drivers were in them at the time?   ???

T

IP Logged
Pyewacket
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/07/05 at 11:42:54

Oh Obi-Vaughn,

Don't think of it as getting weaker... Think of it as ascension to a higher plane... Cheesy

(Silly smileys can get addictive.)

« Last Edit: 04/07/05 at 11:43:16 by Pyewacket »  
  IP Logged
machinehead
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/07/05 at 13:31:40

Talk about serendipity. I was thinking last night about being shown a pair of Klipschorns by a high school friend ... more than 30 years ago.

Was wondering if I could build a pair, and did a web search for 'folded horn.' This led to Steve's 1994 paper about the Corner Horn.

Naturally I wondered what had happened in the 11 years since. Came to this forum and voila -- the plans were posted the day before yesterday! Nice timing!  :-[

Thanks for this site -- what a resource!

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/08/05 at 00:35:37

Welcome Machinehead.
I agree, this site is a great resource.  I especially like Steve's technical papers - what he calls the white papers.  
Brian

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/08/05 at 00:37:21

[quote author=Obi-Vaughn Kentubi  link=1112743937/0#5 date=1112812673]Anybody have any tips on how to persuade the wifey to let me remodel the living room for these?
Eddie Smiley [/quote]

Wives always love new paint.  Now your missus knows if you remodel she will get to repaint the walls.  What could make her happier?

IP Logged
thedude
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/08/05 at 07:43:00

"So, those of you that have heard the horns, what drivers were in them at the time?"

When I heard them they had 6 inch fostex fullrangers in them, the fe167e I think.  They have a quality thats hard to describe.  Its kind of hard to hear them because they're so transparent.  Very impressive.  -Matt

IP Logged
machinehead
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/08/05 at 10:31:13

Just wanted to add that the four-way electrical outlet in the photo (first page of the plans linked above) gives a nice hard-core, industrial-tech look to the speaker.

First speaker I've seen with unswitched 120 VAC outlets for other equipment.  :)

Purists will want to install felt-backed caps into the unused outlets.  ;)

IP Logged
Nievate
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/08/05 at 10:38:52

The four way outlet is optional.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print