Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/25/14 at 18:45:10

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
DECWARE CORNER HORN PLANS ! (Read 56306 times)
Pyewacket
Ex Member

Re: DECWARE CORNER HORN PLANS !
Reply #15 - 04/08/05 at 11:24:32

I was curious as to which driver was in the horns at Decfest as the picture shows what looks like the Lowther DX 55 I think.  I know Steve did enough trials with this speaker to come up with the gizmo.  Has anyone here heard the horn with both?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 04/09/05 at 14:09:39

During the Decfest the corner horns had the Fostex FE167 drivers with the dustcap removed and a phase plug of sorts installed to kill the beam and extend the highs.  

This combo is very good, well balanced, has excellent weight and body with wonderful detail and air.  I still use these drivers in the corner horns and really I have no plans to change them.

The DX55 had it's moments while in the corner horns, but it IS a midrange in that it has no real bass.  The DX55 was never intended to be run as a full range speaker with supporting the bottom end with another driver.

« Last Edit: 04/09/05 at 14:10:06 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
nodiak
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/09/05 at 15:59:42

Steve, can you describe the phase plug you used? I heard it was a tube...? This could help me out as my honeymoon period with the 167e's is about over. A phase plug and corner horn loading might save our relationship. I will have to build false corners tho as the room is 24' wide, sounds worth it.
   Don

IP Logged
nodiak
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 04/11/05 at 03:43:15

got the phase plug info  8)

IP Logged
johnny boy
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 04/11/05 at 05:10:08

Would this work with Zen Select? It looks like the Fostex driver is 8 ohm driver. Would the Zen Select with the EX mod better match for this?

Also, it sounds like, by reading the PDF, that you are supposed to have some kind of opening to the adjacent room BETWEEN the speakers for goood depth in the sound stage? My room will have a door at the back of the room (on the corner), and the speakers at the front of the room. I wonder if that will still work? Building the fake wall thing will not be accepted by the wife Smiley

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/11/05 at 20:15:20

Hi johnny boy,
Here is the first paragraph from the introductory thread on these speakers:

"Here is the flagship of Decware speakers, the Decware Corner Horns shown with the production drivers, a modified Fostex 167E.  These are 8 ohm at 94dB.  They work well with all Decware amps, but especially well with the EX modded amps, the Signature monoblocks, Torii and the new SE34I2.  They will be available for sale in 2005."

The thread is here:
http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=shows;action=display;num=1096...

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/11/05 at 22:03:41

Ouch. I hope it's easier to build than it looks!  :P

IP Logged
Nievate
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 04/12/05 at 09:30:41

I need another set of speakers about as much as another nose.  That said, the corner horns have been my goal for many years.  I have seen them and heard them, have kept up with this forum waiting for the plans to be published.

Now that the cat is out of the bag I am feeling more than inadequate.  My woodworking skills and equipment don't seem to be up to the challenge.  I wish Ziggy would consider adding a kit of the critical pieces for chumps like me.

dennis

IP Logged
Bugman
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 04/12/05 at 19:35:38

I read through the plans... did I miss the sensitivity rating for the corner horns ?

Thanks

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #24 - 04/12/05 at 21:15:22

The sensitivity rating when a single 6 inch driver is used will be whatever the rating is of the driver.   Naturally the driver will have more bass and enhanced power handling but from 120 Hz on up there should be little if any gain.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bugman
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/13/05 at 03:42:39

Thank you Steve

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 04/13/05 at 09:35:36

Could you place two of these side by side on the center of a wall, say as a centerchanel ?? They would radiate into 90 degrees each. ???
Would probably make a great subwoofer.

« Last Edit: 04/13/05 at 11:29:41 by Circlomanen »  
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #27 - 04/13/05 at 20:44:50

If you use the 4-5.25 inch driver configuration that gives you up to 4500 Hz or so, then yes.  Remember that without the corner a horn has to be larger to do the same thing where bass is concerned.  This probably wouldn't be an issue for a center channel application though.

WWW   IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 04/13/05 at 20:59:47

Thank you for the reply Steve!
It would make one hugh centerchannel!  Great sensativity, and would make all those gunshots and explosions sound real!

IP Logged
erimille
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 04/16/05 at 13:31:46

Steve, Eddie (any others who have heard these at the last decfest... )

Assembly and construction aside, how do the corner horns compare with the HDTs?  I've decided on building rather than buying my next set of speakers and I'm down to 4 differnet options with the HDT and corner horns in the mix so any feedback would be appreciated.

Any input / feedback with running these with a CSP and Zen Select?

--eric

ps: kudos Steve, these look fantastic!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print