04/24/14 at 15:39:59

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
ZZZZ - box.... (Read 29148 times)
jimfet
Verified Member

Re: ZZZZ - box....
Reply #45 - 05/21/08 at 18:07:54

Well I got my Zbox a couple of months ago. I love what it has done for my CD player. I just don't know why it shipped with a JJ 12ax7. To me that is one bad sounding tube. It may be because it is new and hasn't broke in yet. But I also have a new EH 12au7 that blows it away. The JJ is just to much distortion.
But after much rolling the 2 tubes I mainly use are the NOS RCA 12au7 black plates and the clear tops. The black plates are best for new recordings. Very precise and clean, great bass.
The clear tops are my best for old recordings. Those days when it's going to be Frank, Ella and the likes, it's the clear tops for sure. The thing about the cleartops for new recordings they are a little laid back. Stings and vocals are back with the band, instead of slightly forward where I think they should be.  But with old recordings where horns, vocals and strings seem to be too forward, the cleartops tame them down where they should be. Which also gives the illusion of more bass which is need on older recordings. Just my 2

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 05/22/08 at 18:31:18

The new production Tung Sol 12ax7 is a really nice sounding tube... I use it in my Taboo and it sounds quite nice, only using a cd player as source with output of 2volts so the Tung Sol works excellent for me...  http://thetubestore.com/tungsol12ax7.html            Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #47 - 05/24/08 at 00:23:59

jimfet wrote on 05/21/08 at 18:07:54:
Well I got my Zbox a couple of months ago. I love what it has done for my CD player. I just don't know why it shipped with a JJ 12ax7. To me that is one bad sounding tube. It may be because it is new and hasn't broke in yet. But I also have a new EH 12au7 that blows it away. The JJ is just to much distortion.
But after much rolling the 2 tubes I mainly use are the NOS RCA 12au7 black plates and the clear tops. The black plates are best for new recordings. Very precise and clean, great bass.
The clear tops are my best for old recordings. Those days when it's going to be Frank, Ella and the likes, it's the clear tops for sure. The thing about the cleartops for new recordings they are a little laid back. Stings and vocals are back with the band, instead of slightly forward where I think they should be.  But with old recordings where horns, vocals and strings seem to be too forward, the cleartops tame them down where they should be. Which also gives the illusion of more bass which is need on older recordings. Just my 2

Jim, I think the 12AX7 just has too much gain for the ZBox, and really I would bet Steve meant to send you a 12AU7 or 12AT7.

I have found that 12AU7s work best for me in both the ZBox and the DEC685.  So if you prefer the 12AU7 I don't doubt that it is what you should be using.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #48 - 06/08/08 at 14:22:19

I guess this is a question for Steve, something I'm wondering. . . .

Would a two input, switchable, ZBox be possible without losing the magic>?  That would be an IDEAL component for me. . . I could buy a ZCD and use the ZBox for both that and my Sony flagship Blu-Ray player, and run it into the CSP2.  The other input on the CSP2 could be used for the TV audio out. . . .My system would be just what I want I bet!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #49 - 06/09/08 at 03:43:32

Lon wrote on 06/08/08 at 14:22:19:
I guess this is a question for Steve, something I'm wondering. . . .

Would a two input, switchable, ZBox be possible without losing the magic>?  That would be an IDEAL component for me. . . I could buy a ZCD and use the ZBox for both that and my Sony flagship Blu-Ray player, and run it into the CSP2.  The other input on the CSP2 could be used for the TV audio out. . . .My system would be just what I want I bet!

It could be done sure.  I would probably recommend (especially since you already have a CSP2) that you listen to the ZCD both with and without a ZBOX to determine if it's really worth the trouble first.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #50 - 06/09/08 at 13:03:27

Good point Steve, thanks for bringing that up!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #51 - 06/09/08 at 15:36:45

Steve, that was such a good point. . .that as I kept thinking of it. . . I ended up ordering a ZCD!

:D

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #52 - 06/10/08 at 09:18:38

A full report is expected, Lon....

Karl

I DO wish it played sacd's, though....

« Last Edit: 06/10/08 at 09:21:52 by veryoldcat »  

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #53 - 06/10/08 at 12:08:10

Me too. Wink  I'll probably be keeping the DEC685 in my bedroom system where it is now doing duty for that purpose.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #54 - 07/06/08 at 15:23:40

PS:  Steve let me know that he could make a switchable two input ZBox for about an additional 100 dollars (or retrofit one for about the same).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #55 - 08/01/08 at 22:49:19

Just wanted to say that I have been using the ZBox with three new players the last fews months, and in each instance the ZBox always makes an improved sound.

An amazing product!

IP Logged
Mx-6
Verified Member

Reply #56 - 09/12/08 at 15:27:25

So what would you use for an optical/coax output from a PC sound card? I use the  HT OMEGA CLARO Plus+ sound card.

I want to buy the Zbox, Taboo, and some bookshelf speakers but I also want to hear some of my music from the PC on the same system. I own 2 DVD/SACD players, Sony DVP-NS900V and NAD T585. I'd like to compare the 2 but since SACD is no longer supported and I feel that CD's are inferior I'd rather just listen to most of my music played FLAC from my PC without switching discs.

So with a 2 input zbox all I really need is a good USB or digital source to make this work. What is the recommendation from those who own this equipment?

IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 09/12/08 at 17:15:37

Hey Mx-6,

My preferences are similar to yours.  I use my PC as a source, then USB to a DYI Monica DAC.  From there regular IC's to the ZBox.  On to the CSP2 and monoblocked SE84CS'.

Granted, my setup has been called "Mid-Fi" by some, but to me it is pure heaven! Smiley

dennis

ps: Most say to stay away from that sound card in the PC.

« Last Edit: 09/12/08 at 17:17:29 by DPC »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print