Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Monoblocking Selects (Read 4356 times)
Lshawn666
Ex Member

Monoblocking Selects
04/24/05 at 15:52:02

Hello All,

I'm a new Zen Select owner and I just monoblocked two of them and want to make sure I understand the wiring.  I spoke to Steve but I may have misunderstood the procedure.  I did the positive to negative wiring of the binding posts, then I used an RCA cable to connect the front inputs (near the bias switch) together - I didn't use a Y-cable.  Then I'm using one input (near the on/off switch) on the first Select for the right channel and one input on the second Select for the left channel.  Also, is there a problem with having the two Selects fairly close to each other?  I have no preamp - just doing a direct connect from my CD player to the amps.

I would appeciate validation of my config.

Thanks!

IP Logged
JimJ
Ex Member

Re: Monoblocking Selects
Reply #1 - 04/26/05 at 21:30:52

Quote:
Also, is there a problem with having the two Selects fairly close to each other?  I have no preamp - just doing a direct connect from my CD player to the amps.

I would appeciate validation of my config.

There shouldn't be a problem with two of them close together...sounds like your setup should be fine  ;D

IP Logged
Lshawn666
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/27/05 at 13:15:07

Thanks for the reply Jim,

I read another thread on this forum where someone said that both the right and left channel produce the same output when monoblocking.  I don't see how this could be true when I have the right channel of my CD player going to one amp and the left to the other - thoughts?

IP Logged
magicsound
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/27/05 at 16:51:03

Hi,
It seems that you didn't connect it properly. I monoblock my system as well but mine is a c, but i think it will have the same config. You have to have a "Y" connection coming from your cdp, meaning the R (red) and the L (white or black) of your cdp should be connected to the monoblocked amps. you can use this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-515

have two of these plugged in the analog output of your cdp, one is for the R and the other for the L, so now you will have two output plugs. connect the amplifiers as you would a single amp.

mon

IP Logged
nodiak
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/27/05 at 19:41:51

Magic, I looked up your speakers and I think they are rated 90db/4 ohm? If so this is similar to mine. I have a C and it doesn't quite get loud enough in my large room. Can you give me a clue on how much louder you can play your speakers with C's monoblocked vs. a single one? Thanks, Don

IP Logged
Lshawn666
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/27/05 at 22:33:19

Thanks for the info.  Now I'm confused.  The first reply to my question said my config was OK.  Maybe there is a difference when monoblocking the 'C' versus the 'CS' which has two sets of inputs.

IP Logged
magicsound
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/28/05 at 00:58:22

(Magic, I looked up your speakers and I think they are rated 90db/4 ohm? If so this is similar to mine. I have a C and it doesn't quite get loud enough in my large room. Can you give me a clue on how much louder you can play your speakers with C's monoblocked vs. a single one? Thanks, Don )

Hiya Don,
Way louder and the music is very effortless, relax and clearer.
my room now is 22' x21'x8' high. I listen at about 12' away. the volume knob at 11-12 oclock is very very loud. Go for monoblock you won't regret it. Other people said that I will lose 5% of transparency is not true. After almost 200 hours on it the soundstage is the same as single zen, but you gotta use a very high quality interconnects, silver if possible. I'm using 30ga single bare silver for hot and same for return.
cheers!

Mon

(Thanks for the info.  Now I'm confused.  The first reply to my question said my config was OK.  Maybe there is a difference when monoblocking the 'C' versus the 'CS' which has two sets of inputs.)

Hi LSshawn,
If you don't use a "Y" connector, where will you get the current by using a single R or L connection to one amp, since either speakers is only connected to one amp? Even I tried it bi-amp I still needed a "y" connector. If you connect it properly, you will have an even current feeding both your amp, all you got to do is adjust the volume knobs (Right and left amps) to get the desired  volumes. Again, you have to use a "Y" connector. Hope this helps.

Mon

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 04/28/05 at 01:44:46

To bridge a SELECT amp the ideal way is to connect the negative binding post on the left channel to the positive binding post on the right channel with a short piece of wire.  Then use the remaining red and black to power your loudspeaker.

On the input side of things, all that is required is to short both input jacks together.  This is what a Y-Cable does on a SE84C but on a SE84CS you can alternately use a short interconnect to connect the right and left input jacks together on the front.  This shorts the channels together.  Now you can use either the left or right input jack on the rear along with the volume control.  

It sounds like you did it right.

WWW   IP Logged
nodiak
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/28/05 at 02:30:08

Thanks Mon, that's good news. My C is really straining at times. I've been thinking about the taboo to get more power, but I like this amp and might be happier with two of them. I've just started to get to know it and may have too much to learn from it to switch to a different signature already. I'll listen for another month and hear some Taboo owners testimonials (gee, I wonder what they'll say  ::) Tongue ) before I decide. I also have the el34 monos in mind if a used pair comes up.
   Don

IP Logged
dr._sleep
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/02/05 at 17:40:15

I have my 2 CS's monoblocked in the series connection (output).  What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a parallel connection at the outputs?

dr._sleep

IP Logged
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/03/05 at 00:04:36

See, this  is  why  I  come  here...

I  have  had  my  Selects monoblocked  using the  shorting  wire  from positive  left  to  negative  right, and  using a  Y-cable to  split the CD  interconnects and  use  both  rear  inputs.

I  reversed the  shorting  wire,  shorted the  front inputs and  used  just  one  rear input/amp.

I notice a  definite  difference in  channel  and  instrument  seperation.

Thanks.....

IP Logged
magicsound
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/03/05 at 02:05:33

[quote author=RobLikesTubes  link=1114357922/0#10 date=1115075076]See, this  is  why  I  come  here...

I  have  had  my  Selects monoblocked  using the  shorting  wire  from positive  left  to  negative  right, and  using a  Y-cable to  split the CD  interconnects and  use  both  rear  inputs.

I  reversed the  shorting  wire,  shorted the  front inputs and  used  just  one  rear input/amp.

I notice a  definite  difference in  channel  and  instrument  seperation.

Thanks..... [/quote]

for me I found the c to have more instrument separation using both input of the amp, then y connected to the cdp but not in the same plug. meaning i'm still separating the red and the black from the cdp. I tried it bi-amp for a while but i find it very difficult to balance the low and the high (bi-amp has a more pronounced separation and better timber accuracy) if i have a pre amp i will bi-amp it again.

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

NIbbelin NFX

Reply #12 - 02/04/07 at 03:55:38

[quote author=Steve Deckert  link=1114357922/0#7 date=1114649086]
On the input side of things, all that is required is to short both input jacks together.  This is what a Y-Cable does on a SE84C but on a SE84CS you can alternately use a short interconnect to connect the right and left input jacks together on the front.  This shorts the channels together.  Now you can use either the left or right input jack on the rear along with the volume control.  
[/quote]

Shorting the front jacks on a CS means a short cable from the left to right front inputs of the same amp or is it to the input of the other amp?

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, home built Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, Klipsch RF-7, SE34.I, Zbox
WWW   IP Logged
Andy831
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/04/07 at 07:14:54

Come on guys, post some photograghs of how its done surely that removes all the confusion.

Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck with Spacearm with Denon DL301mk 2 Cart.
Decware ZP2
Sony CDP X-3000 ES
Decware CSP Pre amp
Two Decware SE84CS strapped in parallel
Tannoy Grf Memory Speakers
  IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

NIbbelin NFX

Reply #14 - 02/05/07 at 22:20:42

Is this the correct way to monoblock Selects?

« Last Edit: 02/05/07 at 22:43:52 by rmt »  

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, home built Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, Klipsch RF-7, SE34.I, Zbox
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print