04/23/14 at 20:55:42

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
HDT tweaks (Read 20399 times)
brad
Ex Member

HDT tweaks
04/12/05 at 16:32:54

There are some HDT tweaks a-brewin'.  I'll let Ziggy or Steve give the full details when they are ready. In the meantime, here is one that you can easily do separate from the others.  I got this from Ziggy...

Wrap the driver phase plug barrel - the sides of the socket not the front - with felt.   From the tip to 1/2" back towards the voice coil.  Meaning a strip of felt 1/2" wide and length equivelent to the circumference of the phase plug.  The felt should be thin, similar to that covering the back of the driver magnet.  This felt with self-adhesive backing can be had from Michaels or other craft mart.

Don't exceed 1/2" felt width or the voice coil may hit.

Ziggy says this tweak helps reduce a peakiness in the ~3K area.

Report back your results if you do this.

cheers, -Brad-

« Last Edit: 05/31/05 at 18:56:42 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
Yoda
Ex Member

Re: HDT driver (FE206E-M) tweak
Reply #1 - 04/13/05 at 05:31:25

s m o o t h

I had purchased 1/2" wide velvet ribbon last week to build a record cleaning machine.  Applied some double stick tape to two lengths for the plugs, & viola... tamed that piano...

The ribbon may be a cleaner install since it is finished on the edges.  DS tape may not be a permanant means of fixing it to the plugs, but it works for now.  

Matt

IP Logged
Yoda
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/13/05 at 19:25:46

Felt ribbon is available in many widths.  Upon further review, maybe the 1/2" has too much of an effect.  will try different widths, and perhaps even partial sections.

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/15/05 at 06:42:22

Ziggy or Steve,
 When are you guys going to publish the HDT tweaks?
Steve told me that the "stuffing" changes could be applied first, without applying the other changes, which I understand require some manufactured parts.  Well, not really stuffing but inserting foam (I think it was) in specific amounts and locations.

I'd like to apply the first two tweaks to improve things while waiting for the others. Namely:

1) Felting the phase plug
2) Applying foam to inside of cabinets

« Last Edit: 04/15/05 at 06:43:21 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
Young_SC
Ex Member

Re: HDT tweaks (Ziggy?)
Reply #4 - 04/15/05 at 11:21:57

I tried the felt and it did smooth things a bit.  I still want to increase the smoothness on certain recordings.  Probably going to take a new CD player which I can't afford  :(

I'd be interested in knowing the specific stuffing locations, I just ended up sticking in different spots willy nilly. Kiss

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/20/05 at 22:21:53

I applied the felt tweak to a set of the drivers.  I also applied a tweak learned from John Wyckoff (Hammer Dynamics).  That of painting a thin coat of silicon calk to the front edge of the whizzer cone. Don't glop in on (thick) or you may add some significant mass to the cone, negatively affecting it's sound...

The white ring in the above pic is white silicon glue applied to the whizzer cone.  The pair I used to have some years ago looked like this. On the FE206 drivers I used black silicon (Home Depot) so it's not as visible.

Both tweaks have smoothed out the treble, though it may be more due to the felt than the siliconing the whizzer.

Still, I wish the bass had more meat. Hopefully, the other tweaks will help in this regards WHEN they come out .... Ziggy?  ;)

« Last Edit: 05/03/05 at 00:42:04 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
ziggy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/21/05 at 01:30:32

Brad,

I don't know if I wouldn't wait till the Taboo was in the system. It may make all the difference in the bass response.
FWIW My favorite set up was the Taboo and the HDT's.

I've still got to build a set of HDT's with the tweeks in place. Breaking the drivers in now....

Bob Z.

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/21/05 at 01:37:04

For sure, I'm waiting for final judgement until after my TABOO arrives and is fully broken in.  But right now I'm using a Panasonic home theater reciever - which actually sounds better than one might think. It uses the Tripath digital amp chips and  is nice value considering it's low cost, sound, and features.
The Panny has around 60 watts per channel, so while I was expecting it to sound bright and not image as well as a low powered tube amp, I was expecting the bass to be higher in volume (not necessarily speed and quality).

Also, since I have two sets of FE206E-M drivers, I can play with the tweaks on one driver and make comparisons (which I haven't done yet), and also don't have the fear of ruining my speakers.

« Last Edit: 04/22/05 at 20:43:43 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/03/05 at 00:12:53

Tweak,  tweaks... we  wan't  (more)tweaks....

Grin

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/03/05 at 00:18:03

FYI, although I used double sided tape and regular felt, Michaels arts n crafts store has thin adhesive backed felt. It's much easier!...

http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/w2gi.php?template=search&client=micha...

btw, I have been told the other tweaks won't be released until the newly designed passive radiators come out - hopefully soon.
Apparently the new cabinet tweaks/mods utilized a lengthening of the inside ports along with new passive radiators. You can add the port lengtheners (just PVC coupler and extra pipe) by reaching into the cabinet through the PR holes, so not a major deal.  The cost of the new PR's will reportedly be very low, so for those thinking of buying an HDT/kit, there's no point in delaying the purchase while waiting for this tweak to come out.  Also, Steve said he's not sure yet if this mod will actually go into production - perhaps just left to the DIY'ers.

There was also some mention of a highly modified version of the FE206E driver which has some elaborate/difficult-to-apply cone coating.  I'm not sure when or if this mod will make it to production.

This is all I know about the tweaks - and that they are supposed to make the HDT sound better.  Looking forward to more of Steve's never-ending pursuits of perfection  ;D

« Last Edit: 05/03/05 at 00:44:53 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
zinker
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/03/05 at 17:36:44

Brad,
Do you know if the new passives will require any change to the cut-outs in the sides?  I am planning on glueing up my cabinets this week and have the cut- outs already routed as specified in the plans. I would like to modify these now rather than after it is glued together.
I probably should e-mail Steve directly and force him to give me answers Undecided
I also need to know about the port changes. I can easily replace the pvc ports now, before glue up.
Thanks for the heads up Smiley

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/03/05 at 18:07:13

Steve said the "tweaks" will not require any cabinet mods. So obviously the PR's will fit in the same holes. The port mods can be easily made by reaching into the cab's through the PR holes and adding a length of pipe via a PVC coupler and glue. The port mods and new PR's work only together, so it doesn't make sense to  use the new port length without the new PR's. Doing this would probably degrade the sound - perhaps creating some response hump.

I don't recommend calling Steve about this, since this will waist his time explaining to multiple people about this "pre-realease information" that he already explained to me.  The final details will come out eventually.  Now, if you want to ask questions here on the forum to him and/or Ziggy, and express you interest in these mods, it might help push Steve into getting the new PR's done sooner rather than later  :D

« Last Edit: 05/03/05 at 18:21:51 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
Falconer
Ex Member

Re: HDT tweaks
Reply #12 - 05/04/05 at 13:03:36

I hope it's soon, I received my plans, etc. last friday and am ready to start building Grin

IP Logged
zinker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/04/05 at 13:57:41

Brad,
I sent an e-mail to Steve. I agree that calling would not be a good idea. Hopefully he will post the tweaks soon. If I knew that the new passives would not be expensive I could move forward with confidence and not worry about having to punch out and replace them. I certainly do not want to pay $60 to make a tweak if I can hold off for say another week. Maybe if I knew when he was going to release the tweaks I could better decide. ???

john

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/04/05 at 16:08:10

I have the existing passive kit I could give to you for a good price. I was going to build, but then found a good deal on used HDT's, so now I have an extra pair of drivers and the passives kit.

Falconer, again, you don't have to wait. The mods can be easily done after the fact.  Besides, it's better to put the drivers into use as they take quite a long time to fully break in.

« Last Edit: 05/04/05 at 16:09:52 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print