Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/25/14 at 12:33:02

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Radials and EL34 Monoblocks, some impressions (Read 19212 times)
homeyhomes
Ex Member

Re: Radials and EL34 Monoblocks, some impressions
Reply #15 - 04/26/04 at 00:19:47

Lon,
The cathode bypass switch position that you say
you like most of the time, actually has the resister
OUT of the circuit. The laid back position has the
resister in the circuit, which tames it.

This same switch is also employed on the 34I.
The resister value may be different, I don't know.
but same effect.

Steves EL34 MonoBlocks do seem like a really good
companion for those RL-2's

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/26/04 at 15:37:26

Hmmmm. . . well however it is, it is the new sonic signature, not the original, that I am using 95% of the time.

Everything is sounding great these days!

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/29/04 at 23:31:47

Preparing myself for the Dec-685, I'm using the cd player with fixed output and the gain knobs on the Monoblocks.  The direct inputs on the Monoblocks sound a tiny bit better but this way there is a bit more weight to the sound, a nice tradeoff.

Can't wait for the new machine to arrive!

IP Logged
ziggy
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/30/04 at 04:23:07

Lon, Would have been nice to have the DC685 for this long weekend, Soon enough though.
                Bob Z.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/30/04 at 10:50:07

I know.   I'm being patient.

I also would have liked a shipment from Chicago to arrive Friday and it didn't:  a "fifties or sixties stereo system" that used to belong to my wife's aunt and uncle that her cousin is sending to me as they liquidate the assets of their estate.  He wouldn't tell me the brand, he "thought they might be tubes". . . . As the other stereo they had was a B&O system from the nineties, this could be good stuff. . . but no guarantee.  It would have been nice if it had made it for the long weekend as well!

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/04/04 at 12:45:01

Just wanted to update this thread to say that the Monoblocks seem to have reached a new area of "breakedinness" after nearly ten months now. . . They are really breathing and blowing easily, they seem to have gotten very close to that state of ease that I enjoyed with my Select, and with the Dec 685 in the system pretty broken in I am really enjoying my system!

IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/04/04 at 19:39:13

Lon, you've noted on several occassions that your listening room is "small".  Well how small is it?

Mine is 11x12x10 and I wondering if the HDTs will be overkill in it...
???

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/04/04 at 20:15:13

That is about the same size as my room.  Mine is a few feet wider, about 15'. . . . BUT I have a few feet of shelves that cover two of the walls effectively narrowing it by about 3'. . . .

I don't know anything about the HDT, but they it is more forward than the Radials (and I have heard they are) they MAY be a bit much for your room. . . . The great thing about the Radials is you can fine tune them so; I am using a lot of resistance on the tweeters, more than anyone else I know, to mellow them a bit and make them just right for my room.

« Last Edit: 10/04/04 at 20:16:13 by Lon »  
  IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/05/04 at 16:14:20

Lon,

I just talked to Steve to get his opinion on the HDTs in my small room:  11x12x10.

He did not think it would be a problem.
According to him others also are using these in a small room without difficulty, some even near corner loading as I am with my DIY horns.

As a side note, my SE34-I2 will be here on Friday!  whoo-hoo!

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/05/04 at 16:17:44

Well that's great!  I'm not sure they would work for me IF they are more forward sounding than the Radials.  I'm very sensitive to treble and like a mellower, laid back sound.

You've quite an adventure ahead of you with the new amp! Cheesy

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/19/05 at 20:05:15

Just thought I would add a thread to this forum.

Sincerely loving his Monoblocks and Radials,
Lon

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 04/20/05 at 06:04:41

Great thread Lon glad your enjoying your system  :) .  Are you in the line up to try out the Taboo?. Maybe you should see if you can have it for abit to give your impressions from comparing it to your monoblocks, I think you would make a great reviewer for the Taboo as you probably spend more time than most listening to your system ( which is really great ) rather than flicking channels on the tube. I'd like to make more time for music but I hardly get any alone time without many distractions etc.. one day a den for Dad or even the garage would be great Grin     Dave....

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 04/20/05 at 10:53:30

No, I'm not in line for the Taboo.  I really don't want to go through the process. . . . The biggest hassle for me is the shipping aspect.  I would have to take time off work to be home and receive the amp which is often hard to do, and I would have to take a long cab ride to a USPS store and pay an awful lot to ship it to the next destination (the local UPS joint is really crappy, the force you to buy an extra box from them before they will insure it for value). . . . Logistically, it's close to a nightmare for me!

I had the Select long enough that I feel I know pretty much how the Taboo sounds and I'm not really that tempted to make the change for my personal system.  I am quite happy with the Monoblocks. IF I could find the money, and find a cheap short pair of my interconnects (PS Audio is not making the Xstream Statement any longer and you can get deals for longer versions right now, but not for half or one meter pairs) I would try adding one of the Decware preamps. . . .

IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 04/21/05 at 02:33:40

So without a pre I take it you are adjusting the volume (and keeping balance of your 'blocks) with the Dec685, right?

Only asking as I have been fiddling with my new Njoe Tjoeb 4000 for a week now and trying to figure out the best way to use its volume control.

Currently have it set as follows:

Turned Njoe wide open (2.55v) and turn up amp until just before it clips on a loud CD (About 30% of the CS's knob).  Then adjust volume on the Njoe to taste while listening.

The other option is to turn the amp wide open and fully adjust the Njoe volume from the remote.  But this way I can only use the first 4-5 stages of the Njoe it is SO loud.

I guess I could reduce the internal jumper to lower the voltage to 1.25v??

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 04/21/05 at 04:43:59

Thats to bad but I can understand all those hassels, enjoy them monoblocks and keep the music a spinnin Smiley.  Take care   Dave......

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print