07/29/14 at 18:09:04

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
PLATE WISH LIST (Read 52203 times)
Terry
Ex Member

Re: PLATE WISH LIST
Reply #60 - 01/05/04 at 08:20:26

How about a simple Push Pull amp based on the SV83?  Or a SET amp using the Svetlana 6AS7?  I have often wondered what this tube would sound like in a SET amp, no one is using this tube like this that I am aware of.

TG Grin

« Last Edit: 01/05/04 at 08:22:35 by Terry »  
  IP Logged
Harana
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 01/07/04 at 20:32:25

- i'd like to see a DAC w/ tube output stage, BUT the DAC having both OPTICAL and COAX based inputs. does anyone here seen one of this type around ?. Steve, maybe you are the first to offer this.

IP Logged
slappomatt
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 01/30/04 at 23:50:42

Please Please build a kit for a headphone amp. or a version of the zsp1 that has a headphone out also. I would love to get some of that zen decware sound in my bedroom, (where there is no hope of decent sound with conventional speakers.)

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 02/24/04 at 18:03:29

Don't know why I didn't think of this before...

Please build a low cost power conditioner!
It will improve the sound of all components and the whole system.   I mean, what good is a world class headphone amp without clean power? ... you'll just hear more of the grundge! Smiley

Maybe make separate circuits for each component -
cdp, pre, amp - assuming the conditioning needs for
said components differ.

« Last Edit: 02/24/04 at 18:06:28 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 02/27/04 at 17:57:47

Steve's principles on product development appears to be quite simple: He'll only market it if he thinks he has a chance of it being the best at that price point. It's a very reasonable and admirable one I guess and it's demonstrated by the absence of a Zen turntable. Another example is in the ZSLA1 instruction manual regarding line conditioners:

"To date the only line conditioners we know of that make a profound difference are made by PS Audio." My guess is that if he were to develop a line conditioner the PS Audio would be his performance aim point. My hope is that he'll be able to achieve that at half the price... Cheesy

« Last Edit: 02/27/04 at 17:58:53 by giorgino »  
  IP Logged
slappomatt
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 03/06/04 at 15:40:32

what about a vacuum tube tuner? i dont know about the difficulty of making an affordable tuner, but i do know that affordable audiophile tuners are about as rare as four leaf clovers, esp. tubed ones. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
nubz69
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 03/21/04 at 06:17:38

How about a tube amp that matches the zen but has a high dampening factor so it can be used on the woofer section in a biamp setup.

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 03/21/04 at 17:30:59

With the right drivers the Zen should have no problem driving the woofers in a biamp setup.  Adding copious feedback to increase damping would take away a lot of the zen magic.

Dave

IP Logged
nubz69
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 03/23/04 at 05:07:48

I am not so worried about the zen magic below 300hz.

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #69 - 03/30/04 at 01:23:25

A "hybrid" Zen amp with SV83 tube based channel for the mids/highs and a Tripath Technologies "chip amp" for the low end.  It would have a built in active crossover of course with the normal adjustments, phase, level, crossover, etc.
The objective is to get some slamming bass with good integration but not touching the sound of the Zen mids/highs

This comment is interesting even though we don't know the context of his opinion. Speakers, previously owned amps, etc....

"A good tube pre, feeding a Tripath amp gets everything right, musically correct,zero even order distortion, and the 12AU7 getting all the sonic goodies just right, while still retaining the magic,with no tube hassle. All of the good, none of the bad... Best combo I have yet owned."

http://java.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=amp&n=41679&highlight=griffin&sessio...

We've heard the "tubes are dead" cry before.  However, I would think its worth investigating.  You never know where those "Zen" discoveries will lead you. Smiley I hear you can get free chip samples from Tripath.

« Last Edit: 03/31/04 at 02:02:13 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
Joe_C
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 09/20/04 at 21:14:05

A phono stage, a phono stage, and a phono stage Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.  Not necessarily a plate kit but a kit none the less.

IP Logged
barfind
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 10/17/04 at 10:35:45

A tUBED DAC ABLE TO PUT OUT ABOUT 3VOLTS

NIGEL

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #72 - 10/18/04 at 21:36:17

What about the no brainer phono stage? I've not forgotten.

(I second the idea of MM is fine)

Think, phono stage, phono stage, phono stage 8)

Karl

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #73 - 10/18/04 at 21:37:50

and while I'm at it, don't forget about the phono stage idea.

Thanks! Grin
Karl

IP Logged
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 01/02/05 at 17:57:18

Hello from Albuquerque NM....just joined and this is my first post.  I am anxiously waiting for my SE84C kits to arrive.  But, to the point of this thread, I vote for a 2 or 3 way crossover.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print