12/19/14 at 01:39:25

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
PLATE WISH LIST (Read 55533 times)
StingRay
Ex Member

Re: PLATE WISH LIST
Reply #45 - 09/12/03 at 20:25:54

I like the idea for a ZenDac as well.  It could be designed for the optimal 2 volt output the Zen's prefer.

IP Logged
matchstikman
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 09/15/03 at 19:22:05

How about a Zen Triode headphone amplifier?

IP Logged
Jason_S
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 09/17/03 at 13:48:54

Brian touched on this, but how about a mono block subwoofer amp, specifically designed to mate with the WO32 or wicked one.  It could even be a EL34 based PP and probably sound good.

IP Logged
chrisby
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 09/17/03 at 20:03:10

[quote author=Jason_S  link=1061610565&amp/45#47 date=1063802934]
Brian touched on this, but how about a mono block subwoofer amp, specifically designed to mate with the WO32 or wicked one.  It could even be a EL34 based PP and probably sound good.
[/quote]

I think it'd be a bit tricky to get the required iron on a single  6x10" plate and still have room for signal & pair of big bottled output tubes; SS rectification with appropriate snubbers, etc would probably be acceptable on a sub amp.  

Believe it or not, this is an application where the $99 Parts Express or similar SS plate amp works remarkably well.  Ed Shilling's Hornline bass extender utilizes such an amp, and I've heard it integrate quite well with a pair of his Horns and Paramour 2A3 amps.  To paraphrase our friend  guru Randy ; not at all hurtfull 

« Last Edit: 09/17/03 at 20:09:40 by chrisby »  
  IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 09/17/03 at 21:20:59

Here's yet another one....
http://www.soniceuphoria.com

Are TVC's the real deal (and upcoming trend) or just another audio fad? ... time will tell...

I really need to turn this TVC stuff into a separate discussion thread.

« Last Edit: 09/17/03 at 21:32:08 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 09/18/03 at 02:53:59

Thanks Chrisby,  I knew many people used SS sub amps with their Tube main amps but I had never heard whether it sounded good or bad.  I am glad to hear I was wrong to assume it must sound bad.  I always like to save money.  

IP Logged
chrisby
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 09/18/03 at 05:22:21

Brian:  I'm sure lots of folks would argue against it, but my point was really that the power requirements for a sub amp usually dictate either large power supply transformer and substantial heat sinking with SS devices, and/or even larger iron and PP if tubed.  

Potential parts cost notwithstanding, there just isn't a lot of space in the 6x10x2 format of the plate series that Steve is proposing.  Of course the ZenMaster would be best to answer that question

Brad - that's a lot of wire, connectors and solder points for a
"purist" device.   Grin Grin  

But seriously, our friend Ed has recently got his-self excited all over again about the CG buffered passive "pre".  That might worth a serious listen - a whole lot less money than any TVC and just idiosyncratic enough to appeal to a lot of us.

« Last Edit: 09/18/03 at 05:25:44 by chrisby »  
  IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 09/18/03 at 23:05:32

chrisby,
 The signal only passes through one wire at a time.  There are multiple wires because the transformer volume controls "autoformers" are basically just multi-tapped transformers - one wire per tap.  When adjusting the volume know you are basically just switching from one set of input taps to another.
The desing is quite simplistic, though building it looks not to be - that's allot of soldering!  

In total the signal passes through connectors, the volume switch, some wire, and from the input to output tap of the autoformer.  No resistors, no capacitors, no tubes.

Btw, besides S&B, Sowter seems like a mfg'er making good attenuation transformers (TVC's), though like S&B they are not cheap (~$150ea) ...

http://www.sowter.co.uk/attens.htm

... and another rave review thereof ...
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/tubediy/messages/18762.html

« Last Edit: 09/19/03 at 01:16:01 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 09/22/03 at 17:01:51

What about venturing into pro audio and offering Zen plate Mic preamps?  I'd love to be able to make a Zen recording someday.

Dave

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 10/15/03 at 01:41:44

Ya know what I think would be really really cool for us tinkerers.  What if you made plates for various stages of an amp, say a input, a driver, then an output, and a separate power supply plate.  What a guy could do is sub values of resistors and caps for various tubes used, say you like a 6SN7 as an input tube better than the 6922, change a few components to make it work, and you have it mated to a SV83 SET output.  Or say you wanted a push pull output for more power, you could connect this to the existing stages and have a drop in output replacement.

Another plate amp I would like to see happen is a active crossover, of two and three way.

I have seen amps build to where you could change out tubes and set switches and your off, what I am proposing is more like a plate set where you switch out plates and hardware it together.  Like one chassic three plates.

One think I like about separate power supplies is that you can mod it to death and make it as beefy as you want.

TG Grin

IP Logged
Harana
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 10/24/03 at 21:01:28

Hey steve. do you have plans for a 5 channel line stage pre. I think this will satisfy the 5 channel HT users out there. if you can, you can just build a 3 channel version, so we can purchase (1) 3 channel plus (1) 2 channel to fit our needs.
I for one believe that there is a sonic difference between just connecting your HT Pre amp directly to your Amp VERSUS putting in a line stage between pre and power. now, most of the HT users uses SS gear, this "add one" is a refreshing idea and may really improve the dynamics and impact of the system.
just my 02 cents

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 10/31/03 at 01:10:33

Found another source for DIY TVC's ... Wish I could pull all these TVC msg's to their own discussion thread.

http://www.audio-consulting.ch/DIYPot.htm

btw, forget the Antique Sound Labs Passive Ti (tvc based) preamp, at least for your MAIN system.  While it's good sounding for the money, and would be good for an intro or budget system or for a second/bedroom system, it DOES NOT sound better than the ZTPRE - which is probably no surprise. I've been listening to one I picked up on Audiogon with my Sony DVP-NS999ES SACD player and the SV83M amps.  

Hovever, I don't think the ASL Ti is necessarily indicative of the TVC idea/technology, and it's potential, on the whole.

« Last Edit: 10/31/03 at 21:58:06 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 10/31/03 at 07:28:39

A vacuum tube audio amp for my television is what I would like next.  I believe it ought to be monophonic to avoid creating soundstage events off screen, disconnected from the picture.  A mono version of the SE84c may fit onto this new plate chassis, I don't know.  

IP Logged
Rocket_Ronny
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 11/18/03 at 02:14:59

-How about amps using 845, 572, or 833A, tubes? Muscle madness.

-A tubed output stage for the the Behringer:
 -ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496  This would make the ultimate DAC, allowing digital room correction and e.q. I am buying one of these one day, tube output stage or no tube utput stage. Read about it here: http://www.behringer.ca/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=DEQ2496&lang=eng
-ULTRADRIVE PRO DCX2496  For those who want to bi, or triamplify.
http://www.behringer.ca/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=dcx2496&lang=eng

IP Logged
Rocket_Ronny
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 11/23/03 at 17:05:28

Or how about a simple tubed DAC with AES/EBU and Digital coax imputs.  That way guys like me could use it on the Behringer stuff and others could add it to their favorite transport. The Art Audio DAC might be a good building block.

Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print