07/30/14 at 16:17:39

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
PLATE WISH LIST (Read 52231 times)
Lon
Ex Member

Re: PLATE WISH LIST
Reply #15 - 08/24/03 at 23:17:35

Jerry, nice of you to say, but trust me, I can build huge glass cutting tables, have replaced the transmission in a 70 Caddy (try THAT some time!) but not electronic items.  I tried a bit years ago and I suck badly at this, and don't have the time to wade through all my errors and inadequacies.

IP Logged
UncleRobb
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/25/03 at 00:06:32

What about a phono stage with passive(!) RIAA equalization and tube rectification?
Robert

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 08/25/03 at 03:25:46

[quote author=chrisby  link=1061610565&amp/0#9 date=1061703646]

Brad:  with all due respect, you've posted links to a couple of very high quality TVC ( the prices of either I've seen are higher than a single Select) .  No doubt there are more modestly priced TVC or other passive controls (including kits and DIY designs)  on the market or internet.

May we disagree on the merits of passives - I've heard only about 3, and found all of them lacking some ineffable quality.  
That's just my personal experience.
[/quote]

Chris,  
 I think many people have pingeon holed all passive pre's together which is not accurate IMO - either design/technical wise or sound quality wise (from the reviews I have read).  I don't think you can say that it's a given that a tranformer based passive volume control would sound anything like the "normal" resistive ones.  They work using COMPLETELY different principles. I have not yet ready ANY review that describes a TVC based pre's as lacking dynamics - which is quite common with resistive (stepped attenuator) passive pre's.

I'm not saying that they sound good, or better than a well designed tubed pre, just that it merits looking into, especially from the reports I have seen.  For exaple I saw one report from a guy saying that he like the Antique Sound Labs TVC passive unit better than ANY preamp he has ever used, and he listened to allot of "high-end" units.

And there is NO DOUBT that the stepped attenuators' resistors as well as output coupling capacitors, found even in the best preamps (like my ZTPRE Smiley ), add their own signature (coloration?) to the sound.  Of course, a TVC probably also has it's own signature as any transformer does, but it remains to be seen to what extent and how good it *may* be.

« Last Edit: 08/26/03 at 19:39:05 by Brad »  
  IP Logged
chrisby
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/27/03 at 19:07:20

[quote author=UncleRobb  link=1061610565&amp/15#16 date=1061766392]
What about a phono stage with passive(!) RIAA equalization and tube rectification?
Robert

[/quote]

I second that emotion

Steve tends to voice his amps with 6N1P/6922 , would they have enought gain for this application?

I built  a DIY phono well over a year ago ( based on the RCA tube manual circuit, it specifies 12AX7 or your favorite flavor thereof ) it's probably time to revisit this project.

IP Logged
rgeorge
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 08/28/03 at 00:35:14

[quote author=Lon  link=1061610565&amp/15#15 date=1061763455]...have replaced the transmission in a 70 Caddy (try THAT some time!)... [/quote]
Ow, Lon!! I feel your pain! I once switched out the trannie in a '68 Pontiac GTO.  It was a TurboHydro400 and I swear that it weighed about 500 pounds.  I thought it was going to crush the transmission jack!

IP Logged
chud
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 08/28/03 at 02:01:38

Phono stage MM/MC   Cheesy

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 08/28/03 at 11:01:54

Yeah Richard, and with the Caddy you had so much more to remove and then reinstall to get at the tranny!  A major pain!

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/30/03 at 21:46:46

Hi Steve,  Your request for products to put on a 6x10" plate got me to thinking about something else I have been hoping for some time you might introduce.  That is a pair of open baffle speaker drivers.  I have started a new thread about them here: http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=General&action=display&num=10...
Basically a woofer and a wide range.

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 08/30/03 at 21:51:55

You might consider a monophonic version of the SE84 kit with an output transformer optimized for subwoofer frequencies.  I believe that would fit on a 6x10" plate.  I don't know how much current it would draw.  It would be nice to have SET sound for our bass frequencies.  

IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/01/03 at 16:24:06

Sorry Steve, but every sound room I've had (even the dedicated "gentleman's office" I'm planning will have a telephone.  So I'm asking for a volume control with remote control because I can't turn down the music and answer the phone before callers give up or it goes to voicemail.  It could be by itself or part of a pre-amp, with input selector please.

I know, I'm bad, very bad.

jeff

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 09/01/03 at 22:15:40

Phono stage please! (I'll settle for MM)
tube xo for biamping as well.

The price is right, and thanks (no surprise) for no PC boards.  Also thanks for the tube rectification.  I would love to hear one.

Dave

IP Logged
morrisvet
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 09/03/03 at 06:46:29

As Jeff I wish a ( quality) motorized volume !

Filippo

IP Logged
Jason_S
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 09/04/03 at 03:09:45

I can just see it now...  we take a medium quality receiver with a motorized volume, move the volume control over to the plate amp and string the control wires in between the two.

I guess there's always something useful that can be done with SS equipment.   Grin

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 09/05/03 at 18:51:50

Sorry guys for posting this but I thought that Master Steve would probably check this thread from time to time and actually read it so here goes:

Steve, take the Fostex FE206E driver and design a Bass reflex enclosure for it that has the punchy, tight bass of the 1.3 but with more extended lows, close to the 2.5.  
Sorry, but if David at Classic audio is going to gouge people at $900 for a simple particle board box, then I guess you are more than welcome to take this awesome driver into your own hands and offer an enclosure at a tiny bit more reasonable price but with better sound. Include rectangular ports that are routed out to minimize turbulence and corked, flushed front baffle or something. Perhaps unfinished or kit.

I truly believe the sales of Zen amps would vastly improve if people could spend under a grand for an awesome speaker system that wouldn't require a sub, goes loud and sounds excellent with beautiful imaging and coherency.

Corey

IP Logged
StingRay
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 09/05/03 at 21:37:23

I'm the last person to deflect criticism from Dave, but he offers the drivers at a very fair price (actually the lowest I've seen on the internet). He also offers the plans to build his boxes either cheap or free if you buy the drivers from him.
I don't see how providing options for the buyer can be construed as gouging.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print