Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/14 at 14:29:25

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Hell, those aren't big ! (Read 132023 times)
Albert
Ex Member

Re: Hell, those aren't big !
Reply #30 - 12/29/02 at 05:00:46

C'mon now Steve let's have some plans and I will develope a 3D solid model of them on the computer; it would be a nice evening project. Oh if it was just as easy to build cabinets in real life as it is on the computer!

IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 12/29/02 at 12:15:03

Not real suprised:

I've always contended that speakers make the biggest difference in an audio system.

The top octave is highly over-rated (as is the bottom octave, but you have to have it on the recording and have the right room to listen in).  This is one reason why single driver speakers can work.

IMO, there's still a lot of life left in the single channel concept (cheaper, smaller, more coherent, many recordings don't support a decent stereo image anyway).

BTW, Wayne Parham from Pi speakers suggests filling the voids behind the panels with expanding foam.

Don't have a CD burner so I'm missing out on the recording.

I'm eyeing the end of my living room right now, looks like there's enough room to fit one on either side of the window.  You know, I've been wanting to reside the house anyway, maybe I could build them into a bump out and not lose floor space (the room fits the golden room dimension ratio as is).

Steve, please provide some specifications.  Could these be driven by a Select?

IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 12/29/02 at 13:46:33

>Steve, please provide some specifications.  Could these be driven by a Select?<

Those things look efficient enough to be driven by anything, even a headphone amp. Shocked 8)
Dave Grin

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 12/29/02 at 23:42:37

Steve,

What about drivers for the horns, what do you plan on using for the top end?  Looks like those lenses should be good down to about 800Hz at least.

TG Grin

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #34 - 12/30/02 at 02:13:34

JLM,

In the original design filling the voids with foam would have really helped things.  This new version has no voids except in one spot.  It is cleated in five places.  Time will tell.

I will publish the new plans once I feel we are done with these cabinets and happy with the results.  Sounds like a pair built into your walls would be interesting!

Can these be driven by a Select?  I can think of no better speaker.  

Terry,

I've ordered some 2 inch compression drivers by Selenium for the horn lenses.  The drivers have an fs of 400 Hz.  The lenses should easily reach 500 Hz if I wanted to go that low. I plan to work on them sometime this week once the drivers arrive.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
EZ_Angus
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 12/30/02 at 03:05:45

hi steve: awesome speaks! I have a pair of altec 416-8b's that I want to mate with my 802-8d drivers on 511-b horns. do you think your cab design could be adapted for a single 15 inch woofer? I'd like to build something fantastic for these great old parts, maybe even a wooden horn too?

envious angus

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #36 - 12/30/02 at 04:05:40

Here is the complete song from which the clip was taken.  It is 46 meg.

http://www.decware.com/imperial1.wav

This should be interesting!

Cheers,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 12/30/02 at 08:00:03

Darn, I downloaded it and I can't play it, with anything I have I have four programs that say they can play wav files, and none of them recognise it.  :'(

TG Grin

P.S. Steve, can you point my to where on your web site i can see a photo of the Imperial horns, with Bendi in it.  I just wanted to compare this one a bit.

« Last Edit: 12/30/02 at 08:58:32 by Terry »  
  IP Logged
Peter
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 12/30/02 at 10:03:17

Steve, I dont' mind since I'm on Broadband anyway, but mightn't it be more convenient (and less costly in terms of bandwidth) to zip the file or compress with some lossless audio packer?

IP Logged
Corpsdriver
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 12/30/02 at 14:32:01

I burned a copy of the recording, and took it to my HT room, and played it in several configurations beginning with stereo w/o sub on my KLH model 17s, then my model 4s. then my a/d/s l-1590s and so on. THOROUGHLY IMPRESSED! I think i am going to put my 3 main pairs up for sale and build a pair of Imperials! And no, Elvis, (my HWK-15) aint leavin the building! I will deliver anywhere in the Pacific NW!

IP Logged
Albert
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 12/30/02 at 17:03:58

I can't play it with Windows Media Player or Real Player..oh well...

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 12/30/02 at 18:23:36

Terry,

Bendi can be seen laying in the Imperial during the start of the visual H. Fidelity tour as well as in an article about hi-fi and home theater.

Corey

IP Logged
Peter
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 12/30/02 at 21:42:04

I think the file's corrupt, media player et al don't like it, I was able to put it into cooledit though.  Perhaps you need to burn it to CD or open it with a program that doesn't require it all in memory at once?

I had a play with it, it does sound amazing, there's basically nothing in the registers abouve 16,000 Hz except a band of noise between 18KHz and 20KHz which probably comes from the recording media.  I did a high-pass filter at 14KHz and it still makes very little difference to the sweet ride cymbal.  This is what we'd expect from a pair of 15" drivers, I suppose, but it just goes to show that timbre and voluminous bass can make such a huge difference.   I was surprised to note that there seems to be a stereo image, Bass is where it should be... along the bottom.  The sax is somewhere right of centre and the ride cymbal seems to be off to the left.  Very odd.

The spectral analysis shows the track to be absolutely saturated with below 100hz.  Who needs subwoofers!?  That's rib-crushing bass Cheesy I suspect the real thing sounded more tight than the recording, and it especially suits that music, but I was also surprised to hear the quality of the announcer's voice, too.

I think this beast is going to sound amazing with the top end drivers in.

For those of you who couldn't hear the file, I took the liberty of putting a high-quality mp3 up here.  I don't want to damage anyone's self-calibrating hearing  :P but it's super-high quality variable bitrate and to me sounds easily as good as the original.  It's the bandwith I'm more worried about Grin

PS - I'd love to hear those beauties belt out some piano when they've got their top bits in.  Even without, I bet they sound about as close to the real thing as you can get.

erratum: high-pass should read low-pass.

« Last Edit: 01/01/03 at 03:54:18 by lindseyp »  
  IP Logged
DrN
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 12/30/02 at 23:00:11

On Steve's file Win Media Player opens but it come up "data is invalid".

Peter, the MP3 works. Thanks!

Den

« Last Edit: 12/30/02 at 23:07:20 by DrN »  
  IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 12/30/02 at 23:28:15

That is what my computer keeps saying that the file is corupt.  Thanks for the mp3 file Peter, I was able to play that, although I don't know if I want to waist a CD for it though I haven't decided.

This is what I think, the shakers, high hat, cymbles, and tamborine, were all being played by Steve and company.  The rest was comming from the Imperials, even at that the imperials sounded great.  You can not beat high efficiency drivers.  I of course on my computer did not get the sense of huge bass, but the rest of the tonal quality was great.  I suspect these speakers will be much happier with vintage high efficient woofers such as Electro-Voice (that would be my first choice), and Altec drivers.  I also would think many modern pro and high efficient drivers would sound great as well, but just not quiet as tonally balance as the vintage drivers, much like the ones Steve has in their now.  In fact the on driver looks like an EV driver.  Steve can you tell us the mismatched pair you have in their now.  I also think having a mismatched pair would have some advantages, as you could get a little better tonal balance.   Both are feeding the same horn, but are separated by their own enclosers aren't they?

Anyway  shows to go ya, you can't really change universal laws,  what men did 60 years ago to make music sound good still will today, we just made a few changes but we really didn't make much more progress.  We just figured out a whole bunch more about what won't work.

TG Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print