Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/21/14 at 09:18:42

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Hell, those aren't big ! (Read 145061 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Hell, those aren't big !
Reply #150 - 01/25/03 at 15:58:16

[quote author=bmar  link=1040842968&amp/135#147 date=1043472687]
Nice looking project. You can also buy an adaptor that has female threads for a screw on driver to a bolt on pattern horn flare. This adaptor could then be mounted directly to your horn throat, eliminating any straight sided throat transition.
If you make a throat you might try a 12-16 degree angle for that short section. The conical throat section will help to eliminate peaking too.

Bill
[/quote]

I'm not seeing it.  Most adapters I've seen would be no different then the plastic throat I tried.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Corpsdriver
Ex Member

Reply #151 - 01/25/03 at 17:55:44

here is the link to pics of my lenses, i hope they will work on the imperials...
http://corpsdriver.home.attbi.com/id19.htm

Give me line of credit, I still learning to making web page.

Jamie

IP Logged
bmar
Ex Member

Reply #152 - 01/25/03 at 19:00:12

Steve,

Martin Sound has these. catalogue number 1846, model 9999062
http://www.martinsoundpro.com/PDF_files/adapters.pdf
11.00 each. This is what I was thinking you could use.

Bill

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #153 - 01/25/03 at 19:07:16

Yep, model 9999062 would be fine, it's just a collar.

WWW   IP Logged
chrisb
Ex Member

Re: bi-polar pipes
Reply #154 - 01/25/03 at 21:37:12

Terry - the veneer is flat sliced cherry, stained with a medium walnut pigment stain (2 coats, washed out with thinners to even out the color and let more grain through - this entirely to personal taste)  3 spray coats of lacquer - hand sanded between.  I generally choose darker stains as it hides the kraft paper backing on the veneer, and I just like the colors.

The chamfers on the edges are simply routed with a 45` bit, and touched up with hand file on the inside corners.

I use the DIY iron-on method for veneering smaller projects like this; progressing from larger panels to smaller. Carefully laying out and numbering the veneer pieces first, you should need very little overlap on the edges, which can easily be trimmed with 2" chisel and sanded flush.  Edges are done the same way, it just takes more time.  Folding the veneer around the 45` corners was an experiment on these pipes that didn't work out quite as I'd hoped.  

Use yellow glue only and buy a cheap clothes iron.  This method takes a little practice, but is much more forgiving than any contact adhesive, and the glue won't be lifted by any finishing products.

IP Logged
ns
Ex Member

Reply #155 - 01/27/03 at 12:26:54

Steve,
Would you ever quit doing this!!!! Now I have to think of where I can put these things (once I build them) Do you have any idea how expensive houses are in Ireland?
I bought a pair of the original radial drivers years ago when Steve was still playing with them because I read his white paper after he built the prototypes. Now I am going to have to get these plans and build these monsters. I guess the only consolation is that there is no hope of doing it anytime too soon. Try as I might, they won't fit into our two bedroomed apartment. Please put me on the list for the plans though as I will build them if it kills me.
Neil.

IP Logged
MikeS
Ex Member

Reply #156 - 01/27/03 at 16:24:32

Bill Martinelli uses an interesting machined "Billet Aluminum throat piece with stainless steel hardware" in his wood horns

http://www.woodhorn.com/woodhorns.htm

I'm wondering if Bill encountered some of the same "evil" sonic throat signatures Steve witnessed before deciding to use these...

MikeS

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #157 - 01/28/03 at 00:59:52

Okay folks, as promised here are the plans in a .pdf format.  I will be offering them on the site for sale in both an online format (this) and a full blueprint.

The file is located here:

http://www.decware.com/forumtemp/imperial.pdf

the username is: forum
the password is: imperial

This file will remain here for a VERY limited time and then it will be deleted.

Have fun!

Steve  ;D

WWW   IP Logged
nubz69
Ex Member

Reply #158 - 01/28/03 at 02:56:32

I've been checking on this thread every once in a while and it is very intresting.  One thing that got me thinking was this -

"I mean let's face it, if your stereo actually sounded real your mind would short circuit and you would be struck with fear - not unlike seeing a real ghost."

at first this made me wonder if this would trigger a fight or flight responce in people.  Then it got me to thinking exactly how much does the mood/state of mind we are in have on the way we perceive sound.  Do you think that that magic we get every so often(for me at least) could be a result of our mood and not exactly the system?

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #159 - 01/28/03 at 03:19:53

Thank you Steve,  I hope I won't take forever to make one of these - or maybe a pair.  
Brian Albin   Smiley

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #160 - 01/28/03 at 07:06:06

I know beggers can't be choosers, but I was really hoping to see something on the wood horns in these plans.  Is that forthcomming?  Thanks for the cabinet plans for the two 15" rear loaded horn cabinet, it is way too cool.  Too bad I had my heart set on the midrange wood horns as well, that was the real candy for me.  Perhaps the details of the throat coupling aren't worked out yet.

The not totally bummed out,
TG Sad

IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Ex Member

Reply #161 - 01/28/03 at 12:50:34

My ancient computer can't seem to open the link. I've tried everything I can think of.
Dave Cry

IP Logged
Randy
Ex Member

Reply #162 - 01/28/03 at 13:40:00

Howdy Dave,

Do you have the Adobe Acrobat Reader loaded on your "ancient computer" ?  You will need it to open this file.

If you don't have it, you can download the reader from the Adobe Website.

Regards,

Randy

IP Logged
Albert
Ex Member

Reply #163 - 01/28/03 at 13:46:02

Steve, what CAD program do you use? could you provide me with the CAD drawing? I would like to create a 3D model of it if it's ok with you and the CAD info might help.

Thanks

IP Logged
Randy
Ex Member

Reply #164 - 01/28/03 at 14:12:30

[quote author=nubz69  link=1040842968&amp/150#158 date=1043722592]
I've been checking on this thread every once in a while and it is very intresting.  One thing that got me thinking was this -

"I mean let's face it, if your stereo actually sounded real your mind would short circuit and you would be struck with fear - not unlike seeing a real ghost."

at first this made me wonder if this would trigger a fight or flight responce in people.  Then it got me to thinking exactly how much does the mood/state of mind we are in have on the way we perceive sound.  Do you think that that magic we get every so often(for me at least) could be a result of our mood and not exactly the system?
[/quote]

Howdy nubz,

Great observation ..... this has been discussed a few times in the past and there is always a nice variety of opinions ..... Grin

I'm pretty sure that my system sounds great all of the time ..... but there are certain times that the sound is so real that I have a difficult time believing what I am hearing ..... a soundstage so palpable and the tone and timbre so convincing that I am totally caught up in the performance ..... 8)

Since I am using a PS Audio Power Plant to power my equipment, I don't think that power quality and fluctuations are a big issue for me ..... so it must be something else.

There are also times that I just cannot get "involved" in the music, no matter how hard I try ..... so I have to believe that at least part of it is "in my head" ..... Undecided

Thank goodness those times are few and far between ..... Grin

Regards,

Randy  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Send Topic Print