Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/21/14 at 03:28:11

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Hell, those aren't big ! (Read 132075 times)
Terry
Ex Member

Re: Hell, those aren't big !
Reply #120 - 01/18/03 at 06:07:56

Awe come on Steve! Your killin us, what are those drivers.  What brand, what specs, what use in the cabinets.  This teasing has got to stop, now I only want to see more pictures.  I wanta see the wood horns!  Please pics of the wood horns.

TG Grin

IP Logged
John_M
Ex Member

Reply #121 - 01/18/03 at 11:33:22

[quote author=Steve Deckert  link=1040842968&amp/105#119 date=1042864486]

Here is a picture of the new 15 inch drivers I got. .

[/quote]

OOOOHHHHHH!!!!  Pretty!

IP Logged
Audioillusion
Ex Member

Reply #122 - 01/18/03 at 16:50:58

They look like JBL's.

IP Logged
steve_f
Ex Member

Reply #123 - 01/18/03 at 20:09:03

Could be JBL, Beyma, P audio.

I'm curious too!

Steve F

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #124 - 01/18/03 at 23:45:51

The woofers are essentially JBL clones made in China and distributed by a European company called Goldwood Sound.  

http://www.gold-wood.com/

I am very impressed so far.  I needed something that was half-way efficient and something that would at least hit 30 Hz.  They are super smooth, and roll off fast so there is no midrange.

WWW   IP Logged
Albert
Ex Member

Reply #125 - 01/19/03 at 15:32:45

Ok Steve did you pick this speaker outfit because of their cosmic intro graphics?  ;D

I did not see any usable specs on the 15 though. Do they provide TSP's on their pro drivers?

IP Logged
John_M
Ex Member

Reply #126 - 01/21/03 at 19:17:23

This is so cool!

I was showing the pictures of the Decware Imperial Folded Horn to my wife last night and she said "that looks nice, I wouldn't mind that in my home."  Is that great or what?  The Imperials have high WAF!

I am a lucky man! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
thedude
Ex Member

Reply #127 - 01/22/03 at 15:03:16

thats great John Smiley, did you cover up the background to make them look smaller Tongue, i dotn have the waf to deal with yet, not gonna get married til i meet a woman who approves of this hobby, and i figure if i build a pair before i get married, she wont make me get rid of them, speaking of which, how are those blueprints coming Steve? -Matt

IP Logged
Corpsdriver
Ex Member

Reply #128 - 01/22/03 at 15:14:40

I am pretty lucky too! I have WAF appoval for anything i do in my basement, so that means most of my speakers will go up for sale when i build my imperials. She is NOT gonna let me lug my existing speakers upstairs to the bedroom...

http://home.attbi.com/~corpsdriver/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Jamie

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #129 - 01/23/03 at 19:28:43

Steve, have You played Your new push pull amp through Your new Imperial speakers?  How do you like the signature combination?  

IP Logged
homeyhomes
Ex Member

Reply #130 - 01/24/03 at 04:47:24

I am thinking about building a pair of Imperials
since I have access to 3 different cabinet shops.
(use of the equipment + discounted prices on lumber) Smiley

3/4" Birch Ply seems to be very popular for speaker cabs.

Has anybody had experience with staining Birch Ply?
I know some Plywoods just do not look good stained.
Veneers look like they wood be very tough to do on a
Speaker like the Imperials. And Painting them would be
an injustice.

homey

IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #131 - 01/24/03 at 05:09:51

Oh do I ever have experience staining burch plywood, learned the hard way you need to use a pre-stain, this way you get an even coating and avoid any blochy spots.  This is my one tip for birch plywood.

TG Grin

IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Ex Member

Reply #132 - 01/24/03 at 12:46:28

You can stain birch ply the normal way, but it takes a LOT of fine sanding, and sanding, and sanding. When you get it very smooth, the results can be very good. I like the large contrast in the grain. However, if you have areas that are not quite as smooth as other areas, it will blotch.
Here's my boxes made of birch ply (scroll down to just over half way down).

http://home.fuse.net/randyr/AudioFest6.html

Dave Smiley

« Last Edit: 01/24/03 at 12:49:00 by hurdy_gurdyman »  
  IP Logged
Bob J
Ex Member

Reply #133 - 01/24/03 at 18:57:26

I wonder if a dye stain would be better than the pigment based Minwax products. I made the mistake of using Minwax on the Poplar (solid wood) I used on my Hedlunds. Lets just say, I will be painting the wood parts for sure.  ;D

« Last Edit: 01/24/03 at 18:58:03 by Bob_J »  
  IP Logged
Terry
Ex Member

Reply #134 - 01/24/03 at 20:17:12

Bob,

Do you have pics of you Helunds on the net so that we can gaze in awe?  I thought I sanded real well, and I still got blotchy areas.  Pre-stained helped a lot, another thing I don't like is that most plywood looks like plywood stained, it has a different grain that regular wood.  I like using vineer, it is easy looks nice, and doesn't require a bunch of tools.  you can sand the edges off, that works as good as a router in my opinion, a orbital is better but I have hand sanded before.  Laminet is harder because it is thicker and harder than wood vineer.

Oops! we have hijacked Steves thread.  Sorry Steve.  We should start a thread on the speaker building forum, although this got started by how to finish the Imperial cabinets.  I think putting vineer on them would cost a mint, I wouldn't, and I would use a plywood like Steve used a lighter weight wood, as light as I could get.

TG Grin

« Last Edit: 01/24/03 at 20:20:05 by Terry »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Send Topic Print