Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/02/14 at 13:39:20

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Hell, those aren't big ! (Read 140409 times)
Terry
Ex Member

Re: Hell, those aren't big !
Reply #105 - 01/15/03 at 14:07:46

How far you mic an instrument, and how it sounds on play back I feel depends on the play back system.  The better the playback system the better distant mic-ing sounds, but on low fi stuff close micing sounds much better.  Don't even think of asking my why, but I know it is true.  When I go to listen something, I always take a recording that I know most of the instruments are recorded from a distance.  Piano and drums especially take on a spacial property.  Most would feel these are not as good of recordings, but on a good systems they blow all that close mic'd stuff away.  Of course the type of mic used makes a large difference in all of this as well.

TG Grin

IP Logged
earwax
Ex Member

Reply #106 - 01/16/03 at 03:54:08

There is in fact a quantifiable explanation for what you experienced Stevie. It lies somewhere within the realms of fluid dynamics, I remember something similiar(vaguely) about compressible fluid flows and Reynolds numbers, viscosity, surface tension and laminar and turbulent gas flows at subsonic and supersonic speeds through a pipe to a receiver with a proper transducer, enhanced with psychotropic conditioning agents. But, other than that, I can't really say anymore about it.

IP Logged
Albert
Ex Member

Reply #107 - 01/16/03 at 04:01:33

Wax, that is a little over simplified but we will let you slide this time.

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #108 - 01/16/03 at 08:22:56

I do not think the friction approach is the right answer because the music is carried in the sound pressure waves traveling down the pipe not in the rush of air which is what would be dragged by a less slick surface.  

Perhaps the resonant sound in the wood can more readily move into the air through a solid to liquid to gas transformation than by trying to go directly from a solid to the much more rarified gas.  

[I have always wanted to use one of those "lamp of ingenuity" icons]

IP Logged
earwax
Ex Member

Reply #109 - 01/17/03 at 04:42:31

Oh, it's the old resonance magnifaction through a multi-phasic conductance medium theorem, is it. This argument does have some merit, as it is well known. If the forcing frequency is equal to the natural frequency the magnifacation factor can be quite large. But the fundamental is still a coefficient of viscous damping and is not the same as the natural frequency, this of course is a result free vibrations. On the other hand, it's possible the oscillations could be under-damped which of course means there will be a diminishing amplitude of the sound wave at that locus and therefore the resultant noted increase is the result of psycho-acoustic aromatic hydra-tetra-cannibinols that the government has surreptitiously added to the varnish. In any event it's still fluid dynamics..."a less slick surface!!!" They just don't teach techno-babble like they used to..Sigh.

« Last Edit: 01/17/03 at 04:45:19 by earwax »  
  IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Ex Member

Reply #110 - 01/17/03 at 04:47:58

??? ??? ???
Ah, could you translate that for dummies, please? Or maybe it's just to late in the night, err..., early in the morning for my brain to kick in.
Dave Undecided

IP Logged
earwax
Ex Member

Reply #111 - 01/17/03 at 04:53:47

Trust me David, I know my vibrator's and fluid dynamics.

IP Logged
earwax
Ex Member

Reply #112 - 01/17/03 at 04:55:53

I mean, vibrations and fluid dynamics.

IP Logged
Albert
Ex Member

Reply #113 - 01/17/03 at 14:54:50

Let's try and keep things clean Wax...thanks

IP Logged
Corpsdriver
Ex Member

Reply #114 - 01/17/03 at 15:05:44

What wax was trying to say Dave, is that Steve was stoned on varnish fumes...

Jamie

IP Logged
hurdy_gurdyman
Ex Member

Reply #115 - 01/17/03 at 16:44:30

There for a minute I thought Ms Wax may have inhaled a bit too much fumes as well. Tongue
Dave Grin

IP Logged
Audioillusion
Ex Member

Reply #116 - 01/18/03 at 00:55:32

[quote author=Terry  link=1040842968&amp/105#105 date=1042639666]
Piano and drums especially take on a spacial property.
[/quote]

I definately agree!

What pains me the most, if they will close mic an instrument and then add reverb and all kinds of filters to add the illusion of "space" to the recording, when they could actually use the acoustics of the room to create the same effect, only in a more realistic sound.

Also, I'm not sure about this one...

Doesn't micing at a distance increase the dynamics of the mic, by not stressing the mic.

IP Logged
Corpsdriver
Ex Member

Reply #117 - 01/18/03 at 02:33:47

didnt i mention something about mic tecniques and dumping in digital bullthingy ages ago?

Jamie

IP Logged
Audioillusion
Ex Member

Reply #118 - 01/18/03 at 04:06:12

HAHAHA, I didn't have time to read earwaxes post. Very amusing. Yeah, lets keep in "mind" that our passion for hi-fi is driven by 'illusions' which are sometimes exagerated by chemical influence. Cheesy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #119 - 01/18/03 at 04:34:46

[quote author=John_M  link=1040842968&amp/90#103 date=1042634820]

In the end it doesn't suprise me that mismatched drivers lend a more natural sound in this design.  Maybe Steve should PLAN on having 2 different drivers in the final design, if that's what sounds best!

Got a question about those wood lenses.  When you notched the back of the plywood to allow for the bend did you cut through all but the last layer of ply?  It sure looks like it from the pictues!  Is plywood usually consistent enough or did you have to make a couple goes at it to get it just right?
[/quote]

I do plan to have two different drivers in the final design.  It is just working way to well.  It makes it possible to keep this a two-way design.  

As for the wood horns, yes, I cut to the last layer.  The two I built were the first trys.  They are not perfect.  However I know now how to design the jig to make it less painful to build.

Here is a picture of the new 15 inch drivers I got.  I'll take a pic this weekend of the cabinets with the drivers installed.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Send Topic Print